Home of Our Brave
- Madras Pioneer - News
The Pioneer will spotlight local men and women serving overseas throughout the war
March 26, 2003 — The Pioneer is seeking the names and photos of Jefferson County military personnel who have been deployed to the Middle East or elsewhere overseas.
The newspaper will spotlight an individual each week and continue to run a list of personnel through the duration of the conflict. Call 475-2275 if you have relatives to add to the list.
This week, we begin with Rose Sanchez.
Sanchez, Marine Corps Private First Class, of Warm Springs, has been deployed to Kuwait.
The former MHS homecoming princess entered the U.S. Marine Corps May 12, 2002 and completed boot camp training at Parris Island, S.C.
Her military specialty is motor transportation, and her home base is Camp Pendleton, San Diego, Calif. In a letter to the tribal newspaper Spilyay Tymoo, her mother Coleen Reed said, “It’s hard not to worry about her being overseas. I pray for the safety of all our men and women who are in the military, as I am sure everyone else does too.”
Others deployed from Jefferson County: • Staff Sgt. James England, US Army, Kuwait, 766th Ordinance Company, (an explosive ordinance disposal unit).
• Lance Corporal Tashna Hicks, Marine Corps, Kuwait.
• Corporal Sonny Yebeutu, Marine Corps, Kuwait.
• Private First Class Rose Sanchez, Marine Corps, Kuwait.
• Seaman Hester Scott, USS George Washington in the Persian Gulf.
• Sgt. Anthony A. Chopito III, 1st Force Recon Company, 10th Platoon, Marine Reserves, Kuwait.
• Johnny Key, deployed with the 101st Airborne Division, can’t give location.
• Sgt. John Thomas Winsor, Kuwait, 86th Signal and Intelligence Brigade.
• Army Specialist Eric Whittenburg, undisclosed forward location to support Mission Enduring Freedom.
• Navy Airman Tashina Berg, USS Kitty Hawk in the Western Pacific.
• Navy Airman Charles Chaplin, USS Kitty Hawk in the Western Pacific.