Home of Our Brave
Air Force Staff Sergeant Randy Townsend, 25, of Culver was deployed to an undisclosed location in southwest Asia in November. His specialty is working on predator drones and A-10 Warthog military planes.
After graduating from Culver High School in 1997, Townsend joined the Air Force and trained in San Antonio, Texas, and attended mechanics school in Arizona.
He was stationed at Moody Air Force Base in Georgia, then Nellis Air Force Base in Las Vegas, Nev. Previously, Townsend was in South Korea and returned in August 2002.
His parents Angela and Dwight Townsend of Culver said the last time they heard from him was March 7. “All (direct) communications are cut off during war time,” his mother said, noting the phone call they did get was patched through Nellis Air Force Base.
Airman 1st Class (A1C) Derrik Morris of Warm Springs is a member of the Elite Guard of the Air Force police and security forces, which guards generals and dignitaries.
He is currently based in Ramstein, Germany, but has been put on 24-hour notice that he may be sent to the Persian Gulf region.
Morris played football and golf while attending Madras High School and graduated in 2000. Joining the Air Force in May 2001, he completed Security Forces training in September 2001, just after the 9-11 tragedy.
He was stationed in Wyoming until December 2002, when he was transferred to Ramstein Air Base in Germany. His parents are Kip and Theresa Morris of Kah-Nee-Ta.
OTHER ACTIVATED MILITARY FROM JEFFERSON COUNTY
• Darin McCool, Navy Airman Electrician (AE3), USS Kitty Hawk, Persian Gulf.
• Army Private Travis Richesin, Kaiserslautern, Germany.
• Staff Sgt. James England, US Army, Kuwait, 766th Ordinance Company, (an explosive ordinance disposal unit).
• Lance Corporal Tashna Hicks, Marine Corps, Kuwait.
• Private First Class Sonny Yubeta, Marine Corps, Special Expeditionary Unit, Kuwait.
• Private First Class Rose Sanchez, Marine Corps, Kuwait.
• Seaman Hester Scott, USS George Washington, ported in Northfolk, Va.
• Sgt. Anthony A. Chopito III, 1st Force Recon Company, 10th Platoon, Marine Reserves, Kuwait.
• Johnny Key, a Ranger with the 101st Airborne Division, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Battalion, 187th Infantry, can’t give location.
• Sgt. John Thomas Winsor, Kuwait, 86th Signal and Intelligence Brigade.
• Army Specialist Eric Whittenburg, undisclosed forward location to support Mission Enduring Freedom.
• Navy Airman Tashina Berg, USS Kitty Hawk in the Persian Gulf.
• Navy Airman Charles Chaplin, USS Kitty Hawk in the Persian Gulf.
The Pioneer is seeking the names and photos of Jefferson County military personnel who have been deployed to the Middle East or elsewhere overseas. Call 475-2275 if you have relatives to add to the list.