>Terry Galloway, a Culver native, and Madras resident Tim Albus are among the victims
News Editor
    June 18, 2003 — The charter fishing boat accident off the Oregon coast Saturday claimed one man with local ties, while a current Madras resident remained missing Monday and is presumed drowned.
    Terry Galloway, 46, a Culver native that recently moved to Portland, died when the Taki-Tooo capsized at the mouth of the Tillamook Bay near the coastal town of Geribaldi.
    The search for Tim Albus, 43, of Madras, and another missing boater was called off Sunday as rescue workers concluded they could not have survived in the chilly water.
    Both men worked for the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad company. The two were among seven railroad workers on the Taki-Tooo who enjoyed fishing together.
    “They were a group that had been together and taken this trip forever. I think at least 10 years,” said Bill Guiney, a Burlington Northern welder who lives in Culver and works in Bend.
    Only two in that group of seven are known to have survived. Albus is one of two men still missing. His daughter, 19-year-old Tina, told The Oregonian and a Bend newspaper Sunday that her family had not given up hope.
    Albus, a railroad foreman, moved to Madras about a year ago from Salem, friends and coworkers said.
    Albus is married with three children. The Pioneer was unable to reach them Monday. His 17-year-old son, Timothy, was pictured on the front page of The Oregonian Monday searching rocks along the coast for his father.
    Douglas Pim, who has known Albus the past 12 years and worked with him out of Burlington Northern’s Madras depot, said the loss of the railroad buddies has been tough on the company.
    “When I came into the office, I saw Tim’s hard hat laying up on the desk,” Pim said Monday. “And it gets to you that he’s not there to be wearing it.”
    Pim, of Culver, said in previous years more railroad coworkers had been taking the fishing trips together. Pim was contemplating taking the trip himself this year, but had “too many irons in the fire” to make it, he said.
    “We told Tim to have a good time and he said we’ll see you Monday,” Pim recalled of his last conversation with Albus.
    The railroad workers were united by their love of fishing. None probably liked the sport more so than Galloway, who moved to Portland last October to be closer to his girlfriend, Linda Green.
    Tim Galloway, Terry’s younger brother, assumed his brother’s job as a section foreman in Madras after his brother moved.
    “He was a wonderful brother and he enjoyed fishing and hunting and he enjoyed railroading, too,” said Tim Galloway, who lives in Culver.
    Services for Terry Galloway are scheduled for 11 a.m. Thursday at the United Methodist Church, located at 49 N.E. 12th St.
    In describing Terry Galloway, friends and coworkers could not mention his name without referring to his love of fishing and the outdoors in the same sentence.
    “If there was an elk to be shot, a deer to be killed or a fish to be caught, Terry was on it,” said Mo Presler, a Burlington Northern assistant foreman out of Bend.
    Said Pim: “He was a dedicated railroader while he was on the job, but when he was off the job he was hunting and fishing.”
    Presler said most Burlington Northern employees consider each other brothers. Although company workers are spread out geographically, he said most longtime employees have worked together at one point. He said the railroad company has a conference call each morning, and the voices Monday were very subdued.
    “A lot of people were shocked,” Presler said. “They’d heard about it on TV and the radio, but they didn’t realize it was their friends.”
    The railroad group’s losses included Tim Albus’ brother, Steve Albus, 53, of Ephrata, Wash., and Spokane resident Larry Frick, 61.
    In addition to Tim Albus, Berry Sundberg, 52, of Cheney, Wash., was listed as missing Monday.
    Of the seven railroad buddies, only Dale Brown of Portland and Richard Forsman of Vancouver escaped safely to the shore Saturday morning.
    All together, the capsizing of the Taki-Tooo claimed at least nine lives. Eight survived. The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the accident.
    Guiney said Terry Galloway, who he attended Culver High School with, joined the railroad company in 1974.
    “He was a really nice guy,” Guiney said. “He’d give you the shirt off his back.”
    Another third Galloway brother, Bob, also was in the railroad business.
    Pim said Tim Albus moved from Salem to Madras a year ago after the company sold one of its rail lines in the Valley.
    “He really liked Central Oregon,” Pim said. “He liked the hunting and the fishing aspect. He like the rural life.”
Go to top