Reel Music 29
The 29th Reel Music Festival, merging music and film and administered by Northwest Film Center will take place Oct. 7 to 23 at Whitsell Auditorium (1219 S.W. Park Ave.) and McMenamins Mission Theater (1624 N.W. Glisan St.).
The 36-film lineup and ticket purchase info can be found at nwfilm.org.
Opening night features Martin Scorsese's 'George Harrison: Living in the Material World,' 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 7 at Whitsell Auditorium. It was produced for HBO, and it examines the ex-Beatle's life, from his musical beginnings in Liverpool to his experiences as a philanthropist and filmmaker.
Other Reel Music 29 highlights: 'This is Noise Pop,' with director Adam Werbach in attendance (8:45 p.m. Oct. 8, Whitsell); 'That was Then, This is Now: Portland Music Videos,' with several musicians and filmmakers in attendance (7 p.m. Oct. 11, Mission); 'Searching for Elliott Smith,' about the late musician's evolution, with director Gil Reyes in attendance (7 p.m. Oct. 21, Whitsell).
For info, go to www.nwfilm.org/festivals/reelmusic.
• 'Guilty Except for Insanity,' a documentary about Oregon State Hospital, will be shown for the first time at Cinema 21, 616 N.W. 21st Ave. Show times are 4:30 and 7 p.m. Oct. 9, and 7 and 9 p.m. Oct. 10 and 11.
Jan Haaken, a psychology professor at Portland State University, directed the film. For info, go to www.guiltyexcept.com.
• 'Flying Monsters,' a 3D film which uses 'Avatar'-like CGI filmmaking to bring colossal creatures to life, premieres in North America this week, including at OMSI's OMNIMAX Theater on Oct. 7. It's hosted and written by Sir David Attenborough. For info, go to www.omsi.edu.
• The Northwest Film Center is presenting 10 'Made in Portland' short programs at the Sapporo International Short Film Festival and Market this week in Japan.
• Big-screen releases coming up: Oct. 7 - 'Real Steel'; 'Restless'; Oct. 14 - 'Footloose'; 'The Big Year'; Oct. 21 - 'Paranormal Activity 3'; 'The Three Musketeers'; 'Take Shelter'; Oct. 28 - 'In Time'; 'Safe'; 'The Rum Diary'; 'Puss in Boots'; October TBD - 'Dirty Girl.'
• Characters from 'Cars 2' - Lightning McQueen, Lovable Tow Truck Mater and Master British Spy Finn McMissile - come to life in the form of life-size remote-controlled models that race around and rev up fans.
The 'Agents on a Mission' tour appearance to promote DVD releases will be 2 to 6 p.m. Monday, Oct. 10 at Century Clackamas Town Center, 12000 S.E. 82nd Ave.