Buffs open IMC with tie, loss


by: Photo By Gary Lindberg - After practicing flying saves in warmups, Madras keeper Efren Diaz executed several similar stops to preserve a shutout tie against Summit.

Contrasting results greeted the Madras boys' soccer team against state-ranked teams in the opening week of Intermountain Conference action.
   The White Buffalos earned a scoreless tie against No. 6 Summit on Tuesday, Oct. 3. A 7-0 loss followed against top-ranked Bend on Thursday.
   More ranked teams are on the schedule as tied at No. 4 is The Dalles (Oct. 24) and at No. 10 is Mountain View (Oct. 17).
   Bend 7, Madras 0: The unbeaten Lava Bears scored three goals in the opening 20 minutes, all by Connor Mitchell, to take control. Mitchell added two more goals in the second half.
   Madras 0, Summit 0: One match into the IMC season, the Buffs earned a most improved award. Summit already owned a 3-0 nonleague victory three weeks earlier.
   "Give credit to all the players for this," Brown said. "Summit has a couple of very good players (Sean Fincham and Andy Hackbarth) we had to slow down. It took everybody to do that."
   Brown added defense was "very definitely our emphasis in this match. Give credit to all our nonstarters in helping prepare us for this match."
   Summit kept the Buff defense busy by launching 13 shots, eight in the second half. Two were scary from Madras' perspective.
   The first came at the 59th minute, requiring Buff keeper Efren Diaz to make a flying save.
   "It's all reaction on a shot like that," Diaz said.
   Then at the 75th minute, Diaz was faced with a Storm direct kick 15 yards out. Hackbarth was able to bend a low shot around Madras' wall but just outside the post. Diaz dove to his left, covering the goal area.
   "I set up my wall so I can see the shooter and I kind of know where he's going," said Diaz who had seven saves in the match. "That shot skimmed off the post."
   Madras had its own scoring chances, taking 14 shots with 11 in the second half.
   A steal by Felipe Reynoso created a threat in the 64th minute. Madras was able to launch a shot in the box but a Summit defender blocked it. Reynoso was later fouled at the top of the box six minutes later, but Pablo Felix's direct kick was just wide.