Soccer: Nathan Anderson scores three times for Sherwood in the 4-4 deadlock
by: DAN BROOD IN ACTION – Sherwood’s Nathan Anderson (7) battles Wilsonville’s Achmat Jappie for the ball.

WILSONVILLE - It was wild.

It was crazy.

Momentum, action, everything went back and forth.

And, in the end, nobody won.

Maybe that was fitting.

In an outrageous roller-coaster ride of a boys soccer match, Sherwood and Wilsonville battled to a 4-4 overtime tie in a Northwest Oregon Conference opener played Tuesday at Wilsonville High School.

'It's our rivalry game. It's always big when we play them,' said Sherwood junior forward Nathan Anderson, who scored three of the Bowmen's four goals in the contest. 'This was good. Wilsonville is a good team and this sets the tone for league.'

'There was a lot of heart and resiliency from both teams,' Sherwood coach Monty Hawkins said. 'This shows that we'll be a team that challenges.'

The tie gives both teams a 0-0-1 start in NWOC play. Sherwood moved to 4-2-2 on the season while Wilsonville moved to 2-4-2.

In a match filled with momentum switches, Wilsonville was the team that claimed the first advantage.

After the Bowmen were whistled for a handball just outside the 18-yard box, Wildcat sophomore Brandon Faro took a free-kick tap pass and blasted a shot into the right side of the Sherwood goal to give the home team a 1-0 lead with 29 minutes and 9 seconds left in the half.

Sherwood immediately tried to battle back, getting shots from Anderson, senior Mitch Schaefer, junior Parker Ward and senior Max Lierow over the next 17 minutes of the match, but the Bowmen still found themselves trailing 1-0.

But that changed with 11:50 left in the first half, when Wilsonville was called for a handball violation in the penalty box. Anderson drilled the ensuing penalty kick into the left side of the Wildcat goal to tie the contest at 1-1.

The Bowmen then claimed their first lead of the match, at 2-1, when senior Kevin Bacewich, in the right place at the right time, put a follow-up shot into the net after Wilsonville goalkeeper Andrew Phillis dove to deflect a Bowmen attempt with 5:18 left before halftime.

'We got momentum, and I think we kept it for awhile,' Anderson said.

Not only did the Bowmen get momentum, but they carried it into the second half and they built on it.

With 27:39 remaining to play in the second half, Wilsonville was whistled for a foul after Anderson was knocked down in the penalty box. Anderson then converted the ensuing penalty kick, again going to the left side, giving the Bowmen a 3-1 lead.

At that point, things were looking good for the Bowmen, but now it was Wilsonville's turn to come back.

Wildcat senior Scott Martin scored off an assist from junior Nick Pinto to cut the lead to 3-2 with 26:26 left in the second half.

Sherwood senior goalkeeper Ridge Bradley then came up with big play after big play to keep the Wildcats at bay. But Wilsonville got the equalizer on a goal by Faro coming with 5:16 left to play. Neither team was able to score in the final minutes, leaving the teams tied at 3-3 and sending the contest to a 20-minute overtime.

Wilsonville wasted little time in grabbing the lead, as Martin scored on a running shot from 13 yards out with 8:50 left in the first of two 10-minute overtime sessions.

Sherwood still found itself trailing 4-3 going into the second 10-minute overtime session. But the Bowmen were determined to keep battling.

'I told everyone to keep their heads up,' Anderson said. 'It was just one goal.'

Soon after, Anderson scored the tying goal when, with 6:39 left to play, he hit a shot from 20 yards out on the right side, with the ball sailing inside the left post of the Wildcat goal, making the score 4-4.

'I got the ball and saw that the back post was open,' Anderson said.

Sherwood, now with momentum on its side, kept fighting to get the winning goal in the final minutes. With just 37 seconds to play, Lierow blasted a hard ground shot from 17 yards away, but Phillis made a diving save, keeping the tie intact.

'We were the aggressor near the end,' Hawkins said. 'We got a goal to tie it and we nearly go the game-winner. We're still a work in progress, but the kids are really playing hard. Hats off to this group.'

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine