Obituaries for week of 10-4-06


   Iva Beebe
   Iva M. Beebe died Sept. 30, 2006, at High Lookee Lodge in Warm Springs at the age of 87.
   Mrs. Beebe was born Oct. 28, 1918, in Indiana to parents Leida and Pearl Weideman. She grew up in Ohio and upstate New York.
   On Nov. 25, 1936, she married Paul Beebe in Sandy Creek, N.Y. The would have been married 70 years next month. She was a homemaker and loving mother to her three children. Her eldest, Jeanne Apgar of Madras is her only surviving child. Donna Beebe died of natural causes in February 2001 at age 57, and James Beebe died in April 1976 of cancer at age 32.
   Besides daughter Jeanne, she is survived by her husband Paul Beebe; and numerous grandchildren; great-grandchildren; and great-great-grandchildren.
   In addition to being a homemaker, she was a hostess, craftsperson, was active in Girl, Boy, Brownie and Cub Scouts. Since her husband was on the road as an automotive parts salesperson most weekdays, she was responsible for childcare duties while the children were growing up. Her husband Paul, son Jim, and son-in-law Bill Apgar were all Eagle Scouts, and her husband had three palms on his Eagle pin. Her grandson, Chris Apgar, was a Life Scout.
   She was a seamstress and sewed Donna's and Jeanne's school clothes and dance costumes, when Jeanne took tap dancing. Mrs. Beebe loved to read, camp and travel with her family, and she and Paul loved to ballroom dance.
   During the summer months, they operated a motel on the shore of Lake George in Lake George, N.Y., from 1959 to the early 1970s, when they sold it and moved to Florida. During the colder months, they managed large resorts in West Palm Beach, Fla., and Iva catered social functions at the resorts.
   They moved to Oregon in the late 1970s to early 1980s to be near their daughter, Jeanne, and Paul worked as the front desk and gift shop manager at Kah-Nee-Ta Resort, while Iva worked as hostess at Kah-Nee-Ta's Riverhouse. They were charter members of Jefferson County's AARP chapter, and in Florida were very active with Punta Gorda's senior organization.
   They returned to Oregon in 2000 and Iva's final years were spent at the assisted living facilities of East Cascade and High Lookee Lodge.
   A celebration of her life will be held at 2 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 7, at High Lookee Lodge's Tribal Room at Warm Springs. Arrangements are under the direction of Deschutes Memorial Funeral Home.
   Gilbert Fromong
   Madras resident Gilbert Eugene Fromong died Sept. 24, 2006, at Mountain View Living Center at the age of 69.
   Mr. Fromong was born June 10, 1937, in Oregon City to parents Melville and Bonnie (Lambert) Fromong. He was raised and attended school in Oregon City. In September of 1954, he enlisted in the U.S. Air Force and served until 1956, when he was honorably discharged.
   On Sept. 7, 1974, he married Dorothy Janet Grater. They moved to the family farm in Ashwood until it was sold, then they relocated to Madras in 1979.
   He was a cattle rancher most of his life. His special interests included working in flower gardens. In his later years, he began attending the First Christian Church.
   Mr. Fromong has no survivors. He was preceded in death by his wife.
   A funeral service was held Sept. 30, at Bel-Air Colonial Funeral Home in Madras. He was buried next to his wife at the family plots in Wood Cemetery in Ashwood. Arrangements were under the direction of Bel-Air Colonial Funeral Home in Madras.
   Peggy Gertz
   Madras resident Peggy Gertz died Sept. 30, 2006, at the age of 82. Services will be held at 11 a.m., Thursday, Oct. 5, at the Madras United Methodist Church. A full obituary will appear in next week's Pioneer.
   Winton Livingston
   Former Central Oregon resident Winton LeRoy Livingston died Sept. 23, 2006, in Woodburn at the age of 89.
   Mr. Livingston was born May 9, 1917, in Woodburn. He served in the Navy during World War II. He married Darlene R. Crawford in Redmond on June 21, 1965.
   His father, Harvey Livingston was the founder of the Bend-Portland Truck Service, and Winton spent most of his career in Central Oregon as a truck driver for that trucking line. In the 1950s, he started a small saw mill with his brother-in-law, Bud Dimmick in Madras -- the D & L Lumber Company.
   He was a very active member of the Madras Saddle Club while living here. After retiring, he and his wife traveled throughout the Northwest and Canada in their RV and wintered in Yuma, Ariz. In his later years, he moved to Woodburn to live with his son.
   Survivors include his sons, Gene Livingston of Beaverton, and Jim Livingston of Woodburn; stepson, Steve Harris of Camas, Wash.; and stepdaughter, Klynn Myers of Pendleton; 10 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.
   A graveside service was held Sept. 29, at the Redmond Memorial Cemetery. Arrangements were under the direction of Cornwell Colonial Chapel in Woodburn.