Camouflaged burglary suspect fails to make trial date

UPDATE: Court issues felony warrant for Portland man's arrest

Washington County Circuit Court issued a felony warrant Friday for the arrest of Gregory Liascos, the Portland man who dressed in a camoflouged Ghillie suit last October and is accused of burglarizing the Rice Northwest Museum of Rocks and Minerals in Hillsboro.

Liascos failed to show up Tuesday, Oct. 11, for a jury trial related to his Oct. 14, 2010, arrest. The trial was set to begin on Tuesday with the jury selection, but never got started.

Anyone with information about the whereabouts of Liascos is asked to call the Washington County Sheriff's Office at 503-629-0111 or local authorities.

'Moss Man'

Deputies arrested the 36-year-old last year. At the time, authorities said Liascos was hiding on the ground in a camouflaged "Ghillie" suit when he was discovered by a Beaverton police K9 team.

A caretaker at the Rice Museum contacted authorities when he noticed that someone had secretly cut a hole in the wall of a bathroom at the museum. The bathroom is attached to the museum, but has no entry from inside the building. The hole was hidden behind a toilet seat cover dispenser. According to police reports, the suspect had removed the dispenser from the wall and started to cut through the wall into the interior of the museum. He then replaced the dispenser so no one would notice.

The museum caretaker had noticed unusual dust on the floor of the bathroom Monday and Tuesday of that week. After finding more dust Wednesday morning, he investigated the source of the debris and found the hole.

Deputies arrived to investigate Thursday morning, and brought a K9 unit from the Beaverton Police Department. The K9 tracked to a wooded area and alerted his handler that he smelled something on the ground about a half mile away from the building. The dog then bit the ground, which then "cried out in pain," police reports stated.

Liascos was charged with burglary and criminal mischief.

Nothing was stolen from the museum, and police reports state that the museum's existing security "would very likely have triggered a police response" once Liascos had successfully entered the interior of the building.

Following Liascos' arrest and the release of photos of his disguise, media outlets began referring to him as "Moss Man."