Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Fund helps Pollock family

Home burned in fire
A "Pollock Family Fund" has been set up at Columbia River Bank for donations to help the Pollock family following their Culver house fire.
   Chuck and Becky Pollock and their 27-year-old disabled son Jeremy, were left without a home after a Feb. 13 nighttime fire which burned most of the inside. Loss from the electrical-caused fire was estimated at $70,000.
   What was left of the house was demolished March 13, Becky said by phone, noting, "It was a total loss. The metal roof was the only thing that kept it contained."
   She said the house was insured and the insurance company is paying for a rental for them to live in at present.
   All three of the Pollocks were asleep when the fire broke out and were able to escape, but Chuck suffered from smoke inhalation and was taken to the hospital for treatment.
   "He has to be on oxygen now, and we don't know yet, but he may have to be on it for the rest of his life," Becky said, adding, "He got trapped between a dresser and the wall of flames and had a hard time getting out, plus he was saving our bird (a cockatiel which survived)."
   The Pollocks have been given clothing, a washer and "enough furniture to get by," but still need a dryer, household linens, and blankets. They have two queen-sized beds and one twin bed. For more information contact them at 546-6230.