>   .
   Clifford Armstrong
   Former Culver resident Clifford "Mike" Armstrong died Jan. 22, 2008, in West Linn at the age of 90.
   Mr. Armstrong was born Jan. 23, 1917, in Churchville, Iowa. He moved to Oregon in 1937 and in 1940 married Lilias VanOrsow, who preceded him in death in 2002.
   He relocated to Culver in 1952, where he farmed until his retirement. He moved to the Portland area in 2001 to be near his daughters.
   Survivors include two daughters, four grandsons and three great-grandchildren.
   Max Jackson
   Warm Springs resident Max Jackson died Jan. 25, 2008, at his home at the age of 85.
   Mr. Jackson was born March 22, 1922, at Dry Hollow on the Warm Springs Reservation to Charles and Georgiana (Miller) Jackson on March 22, 1922.
   Mr. Jackson' father was both a cattle rancher and a tribal leader who served on the Warm Springs Tribal Council for many terms, some as chairman.
   He spent his youth working on the ranch and the experience taught him the value of hard work. He attended Chemawa Indian School near Salem, and graduated in 1941 with a degree in general studies. He also learned the welding trade at Chemawa, participated on the varsity football team, did boxing and track. He excelled at the javelin, winning several meets,
   In the fall of 1942, he enrolled at Haskel Junior College, in Kansas, graduating in 1942 with a vocational (welding) degree.
   In mid-1942, Max, his brother Zane and a number of other reservation boys received their Selective Service numbers. He enlisted in the U.S. Army in the spring of 1943, served in Battery D, 52nd Field Artillery and was granted an honorable discharge in September, 1943.
   Following his discharge, he went to work as a welder at the shipyards in Portland, and elsewhere along the West Coast. He learned new techniques and became a "heliarc" welder, and said that there wasn't any metal that he couldn't weld together.
   His career as a welder included frequent employment at the Warm Springs Mill as well as KEITH Manufacturing.
   While working on and off as a welder, Mr. Jackson continued to work on the ranch, helping his father Charlie grow dryland hay crops and tend to the cattle business.
   He retired from his welding career in the 1980s. After his father's death in 1980 he began to work the ranch himself.
   In retirement, Mr. Jackson was appointed by the Tribal Council to serve on the timber committee. He served for 18 years and traveled throughout the West visiting other reservation mills and forest management practices. As a timber committee member, he often said that his job was to seek out new and better forest and mill management operations and advise the Tribal Council of these opportunities.
   Many will recall one of his pet peeves -- the fact that the mill's primary sawing machinery is a "single cut" rather than a "double cut" configuration. He undertook a mission to do whatever he could to persuade the council and mill management to change to a "double cut" configuration.
   He always seemed to have at least one watch dog, and sometimes two. Mr. Jackson kept his last ranch horse, a tall black gelding Jett, until the horse turned 22 years old. He also enjoyed fishing and often recalled how easy it was to catch large trout and even salmon below the reregulating dam.
   In his later years, his love of sports became a passion and he watched every sporting event on satellite TV. He especially loved rodeo, football, baseball and basketball. An intensely shy and private person, he made few friends and fewer enemies during his lifetime. However, once he opened up to a stranger, he could usually find a common interest in sports or politics.
   Mr. Jackson was never married and had no children. He is survived by his special friend and longtime companion Alice Scott of Warm Springs; his nieces, Colleen (Meacham) Reimer, Maxine (Meacham) Stephens, Deborah and Anita Jackson, Joyce (Meacham) Reyes; his nephews George Meacham Jr., Mark and Charles Jackson, and numerous other cousins, grand-nieces and grand-nephews.
   He was preceded in death by his parents; brothers, Vernon, and Zane Jackson; half-brothers from his mother's first marriage, Clifford, George and Roy Meacham, and two sisters.
   A private family dressing ceremony will be held Jan. 29, from noon to 1:30 p.m., at Bel-Air Colonial Funeral Home in Madras. Public viewing will be at Bel-Air from 1:30 to 5 p.m.
   Overnight services will be Jan. 29, from 6 p.m., with prayer services at the Jackson Ranch House along the Deschutes River in Warm Springs.
   Funeral services will be at 9 a.m., Wednesday, Jan. 30, at the Presbyterian Church in Warm Springs, with burial at 10:30 a.m., at the Agency Cemetery. A dinner will follow at noon at the Agency Longhouse in Warm Springs. Arrangements are under the direction of Bel-Air Colonial Funeral Home of Madras.
   Kerry Love
   Former Madras resident, Kerry Curtis Love, 55, of Burnsville, N.C., passed away Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2008, at St. Joseph Campus of Mission Hospitals.
   A native of Myrtle Creek, Ore., Mr. Love was the son of the late Homer Love and Callie Green Love of Roseburg.
   Mr. Curtis served in the U.S. Air Force, and was a veteran of the Vietnam Conflict and the Persian Gulf War. He had lived in Madras until moving to North Carolina six months ago.
   He had a passion for horses, participated in rodeos throughout Oregon and was a member of the National Barrel Horse Association, District 8, National Reined Cow Horse Association, and National Reining Horse Association.
   In addition to his mother, he is survived by his wife, Lee Ann Love, of two years; daughter, Kaycee Lytle of Burnsville, N.C.; son, Justin Love of Eugene; and a sister, Dianna Love, and husband Michael of Eugene.
   Services were held Jan. 18, at First Born Baptist Church in Weaverville, N.C. Memorials may be made to NBHA District 8, Awards, 32 Bud Swan Road, Marshall, N.C. 28753. Arrangements were under the direction of Asheville Mortuary Services.
   Bert Matthews
   Madras resident Bert John Matthews died Jan. 17, 2008, at Mountain View Hospital in Madras at the age of 91.
   Mr. Matthews was born Feb. 9, 1916, in Portland, to parents Fred and Victoria (Comini) Matthews. On Oct. 1, 1940, he and Ruth Thomas were married.
   Mr. Matthews came to Madras in 1953, and owned and operated his own body repair shop for several years. He was also a volunteer firefighter for the Jefferson County Fire Department and enjoyed this time there very much.
   His special interests included going out and gathering petrified rock and then creating things out of the rock. He built a rock wall at his home. He had a big heart and a great sense of humor that was quite endearing. Bert also liked to hunt and fish.
   Survivors include his wife, Ruth Matthews of Madras; daughters and sons-in-law, Victoria and Ken Short of Bainbridge Island, Wash., and Mary and Jimmy Wright of Portland; four grandchildren; and "granddogs" "Charlie" and "Bela." He was preceded in death by his parents, a brother and an infant sister.
   Memorial services will be held at a later date. Memorial contributions have been suggested to the Salvation Army. Arrangements are under the director of Bel-Air Colonial Funeral Home of Madras.
   Roylene Ward
   Madras resident Roylene M. Ward passed away peacefully at home of cancer on Jan. 25, 2008. She was 78. A memorial service will be held later in the spring. A full obituary will appear in next week's Pioneer.
   Jewel Winishut
   Warm Springs resident Jewel Marie Winishut died Jan. 18, 2008, at her home. She was 39.
   Ms. Winishut was born Sept. 20, 1968, in Madras, to parents Percy Winishut and Pauline Johnson. She was a lifetime resident of Warm Springs and an enrolled member of the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs.
   She was a homemaker and mother, who enjoyed spending time with her grandchildren. She also liked to work with yarn, making dreamcatchers.
   Survivors include her daughters, Edna, Bernadette and Maureen Winishut, all of Warm Springs; brothers, Don, Duane and Stacy Winishut, all of Warm Springs; sister, Charlene Winishut of Warm Springs; and four grandchildren.
   Dressing ceremonies were held Jan. 21, at the Agency Longhouse, followed by overnight services. Burial was Jan. 22, at the Simnasho Cemetery. Arrangements were under the direction of Bel-Air Colonial Funeral Home of Madras.
   Priscilla Yazzie
   Priscilla Squiemphen Yazzie passed away on Nov. 19, 2007, at the age of 50 at Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland.
   She was born Feb. 28, 1957, in Warm Springs, to parents Earl and Rita Squiemphen. She was a lifetime resident of Warm Springs and an enrolled member of the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs.
   She was a stay-at-home mom after she received a kidney transplant in June, 2003. Prior to that, she worked as the administrative assistant to four different secretary/treasurers of the Confederated Tribes. She also worked as a reporter for the Spilyay Tymoo, microfilm operator for the records center, secretary to the education general manager, key punch operator for the data processing department and various other departments during high school.
   Mrs. Yazzie attended school in Warm Springs and Madras, graduating from high school in 1975. She excelled in volleyball, making varsity all four years of high school. She spent several years in the rodeo arena as a world class barrel racer and at one point was practicing to be a team roper/breakaway roper.
   She met Edison Yazzie during her years in the rodeo arena and they were married in June, 1987, at the Warm Springs Baptist Church.
   Due to her inability to work, she spent a lot of time fundraising to help her daughters go to various volleyball and basketball tournaments and camps, plus she helped fund their trip to Holland in 2006.
   You could always count on seeing her at the Tribal Administration Building selling her baked items, huckleberry jam and pies, necklaces and beads. She was constantly busy doing things for her family.
   Her many interests included her family, playing on the computer, baking, helping on the farm when she could, attending the volleyball and basketball tournaments held throughout Oregon and Washington.
   Mrs. Yazzie is survived by husband, Edison; daughters, Teri Jo and Amanda Yazzie; parents, Earl and Rita Squiemphen; sisters, Valerie and Earlynne Squiemphen, Sammi O'Reilly, C.R. Begay; and brother, Terry Squiemphen, all of Warm Springs.
   The family has requested donations be made to the National Kidney Foundation, or The American Cancer Society.
Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine