Multnomah Village circa 1910
MULTNOMAH - This is the oldest known photograph of Multnomah Village.
It was taken about 1910 from what is presently Southwest 37th Avenue and Southwest Garden Home Road, looking northeast. Tom Hawley, who owned a house at this location, probably took it. Hawley owned Multnomah's first lumberyard, located where the Dahl House apartments are today, and his wife was one of Multnomah's first postmistresses, operating out of the Bungalow Cash Grocery, located at what is now Parker Realty. This photograph is actually a postcard, which was sold in the post office. The Oregon Electric Railway tracks, now Southwest Multnomah Boulevard, run from left to right in front of the large barn in the left of the photo. The white building in the center of the photo is at the southwest corner of what is now Southwest 35th Avenue and Southwest Capitol Highway, where Acapulco's Southwest Gold is now. The water tower was at located where Southwest 35th Avenue and Southwest Canby Street now meet. This photo was donated to the Multnomah Historical Association by Mary Hawley Beamer, the Hawleys' granddaughter.
For more information, call 503-893-5549 or visit www.multnomahhistorical.com.
- Multnomah Historical Association