Johnson appointed to endowed chair at Lewis and Clark Law School
Southwest Portland resident lends expertise in corporate, securities law
COLLINS VIEW - A nationally recognized expert in corporate and securities law, Jennifer Johnson has been named the new Erskine Wood, Sr. Professor of Law at Lewis and Clark Law School. Johnson was installed in the Wood Chair on Oct. 24 in Lewis and Clark's Agnes Flanagan Chapel.
The public ceremony included a lecture by Johnson entitled, 'Fleecing Grandma: A Regulatory Ponzi Scheme?'
Johnson earned her degrees from Mills College and Yale Law School before clerking for Judge Alfred T. Goodwin, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit. She was then in private practice with the Portland law firm of Stoel Rives before joining the Lewis and Clark Law School faculty in 1980. In 2008, Professor Johnson was elected to the American Law Institute and named Jeffrey Bain Faculty Scholar in recognition of her exemplary teaching and scholarship in business law.
A member of the Oregon State Bar, Johnson has served on various task forces charged with drafting business legislation. Johnson's primary areas of teaching and research are in business and securities law, and her recent scholarship focuses on securities regulation, arbitration and litigation.
The endowed chair was created by a generous gift from Louise Wood, widow of the late Erskine Wood, Sr. Former Dean James Huff man was the first recipient of the award. Professor Johnson will be the second person appointed to the chair.
Erskine Wood, who died in 1983 at the age of 103, was a renowned Portland admiralty lawyer and the last living person to know Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce tribe. Wood graduated from Harvard University in 1901 and from the University of Oregon Law School in 1912. He was the senior partner in the firm of Wood, Tatum, Mosser, Brooke and Holden, and many believe he was one of the greatest admiralty lawyers in the United States. Mrs. Wood requested that appointees to the chair be individuals committed to the established traditions of the American legal and constitutional system.
Lewis and Clark Law School is located at 0615 S.W. Palatine Hill Road.
- Submitted by Lewis and Clark Law School