Getting started at COCC
Madras COCC Center
Now that COCC is here in Madras, many of you are probably wondering how to get started; it can be confusing, so ask questions and don't be shy! Hopefully this article will give you the high points.
Credit classes for
1. Complete the Free Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA can be completed online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. By completing this application, you may receive grants or student loans to help pay for your education costs.
COCC's code is 003188. If you don't have a computer, come to the Madras campus and use one of ours. This can take between two to four months, so do it now.
2. Apply to COCC. You can apply online (www.cocc.edu) or in person at the Madras campus. There is a $25 application fee, which pays for your placement test. Sign up to take the placement test.
3. Take the placement test. You can take your placement test at the Madras Campus on the Wednesday, Oct. 19, or Nov. 16, at 5:30 p.m. We also have tests in Prineville, Redmond, and Bend.
The placement test can take between two to four hours. The test helps our academic advisors know what math and writing classes you should take so you can be successful in your classes. Sign up for a new student advising session.
4. Attend a new student advising session. New student advising sessions occur in December for the winter term, so make sure to sign up after your placement test. We have not set the dates yet, but we will announce it on this page in November.
5. Register for classes. You will register for classes during your new student advising session. This completes the process, and you are ready to start classes on Jan. 9.
1. Attend the first day of class. The instructor will get you registered for the class. The schedule for winter term (starting Jan. 9) will come out at the beginning of December.
1. Register for the class. Signing up for classes is easy. The winter schedule will come out in December. You can sign up in person at the Madras campus or online at http://noncredit.cocc.edu.