Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Fire damages motor home

Owners were away

by: Photo by Joe McHaney - A firefighter works to put out the fire that caused extensive damage to a mobile home in Metolius on Sunday afternoon. The fire started in electrical wiring.

A fire at a mobile home in Metolius Sunday caused an estimated $22,500 in damage to the home, and $15,000 to its contents, according to a Jefferson County Fire District report.
   Roland and Pamela Swearingen, the owners and occupants of the home in Metolius Mobile Home Park on Dover Lane, were away at 4:15 p.m., Sunday, July 22, when the fire broke out.
   The probable cause of the blaze was determined to be an electrical wiring problem. The porch and entryway had heavy smoke and heat damage, and two of the owners' cats died in the fire. Another two cats and the family dog were rescued.
   The American Red Cross is assisting the family with lodging and is meeting with them to assess further needs.
   Two other residents of the mobile home park expressed concern to The Pioneer about the lack of an escape route from the park. They said there is only one road in, and it was blocked by fire equipment.
   A total of three structure engines, two support vehicles, one rescue vehicle, and 17 fire personnel were at the scene for two hours and 20 minutes.