by: JAIME VALDEZ Zach Walen makes a move after making a catch in last week’s victory. Walen had a team-high four catches for 60 yards and a touchdown in the game.

The Lake Oswego football team held serve in nasty conditions last week, capping an undefeated regular season and locking up the No. 1 overall seed in the upcoming state tournament with a 31-13 win over Oregon City.

It was a sloppy game at times but the Laker defense was terrific again, keeping the Pioneers off the board until late in the contest when the team's reserves were in.

It took a while for the Laker offense to find its footing but it mechanically was able to put the game away.

"It wasn't our best outing but we were able to come away healthy and now we move on to the second season," coach Steve Coury said.

Despite driving rain and wind, Lake Oswego found some early success through the air.

Alex Matthews connected with Stevie Coury early in the game and, when the Pioneers looked to take Coury away as a weapon, he hit Zach Walen, Clay Lee and Nick Salita on quick passes.

"We rolled with what they took away from us and really spread the ball around," Coury said.

For the game Matthews was 14-for-22 for 189 yards.

Lake Oswego's first points in the game came off the foot of Harrison Greenberg who connected on a difficult 30-yard field goal given the conditions.

The Lakers would extend the lead on a nine-yard run by Steven Long.

Lake Oswego frustrated Oregon City on offense for most of the night. The Lakers took away the Pioneers' top receiver and quarterback Landon Martinez was only able to complete five of his 19 pass attempts.

He was also intercepted four times by the Lake Oswego secondary.

Jack Anderson had two of those interceptions, one of which was returned deep into Oregon City territory.

Lake Oswego also got to Martinez in the backfield, coming off with opportune sacks.

"The defense really played well. Our front guys have really stepped up. We had a lot of guys at the beginning of the year who hadn't really played much but now they're seasoned," Coury said.

Oregon City had some success on the ground but the Lakers were able to make the Pioneers one dimensional.

The Lakers extended the lead before the half when Matthews hit Coury for a 36-yard touchdown.

Oregon City would drive into Laker territory before the end of the half but missed a short field goal attempt.

Lake Oswego hurt itself with penalties in the game and had a number of big plays called back.

Oregon City made more of a concerted effort to stop the pass in the second half and the Lakers went to the ground to move the ball.

Lake Oswego went up 24-0 on a seven-yard pass from Matthews to Walen.

Erick Tovar would complete the team's scoring early in the fourth quarter on a one-yard run.

Lake Oswego will now enjoy a bye week as it waits to find out who its first-round playoff opponent will be. The Lakers enter the postseason ranked No. 1 by the OSAA.

"Having that ranking is a great accomplishment but our guys do a great job of moving on. They don't get caught up in all of that. This week we'll really just try to get our kids fresh and have a little fun," Coury said.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine