Beavers survive early goal to beat Tide 3-1

The Beavers score three times in the second half to leave Glencoe behind
by: Miles Vance SURROUNDED — Beaverton’s Nick Lewis races between Glencoe defenders during his team’s 3A Class 6A Play-In victory at Beaverton High School on Tuesday.

BEAVERTON - The Beaverton boys soccer team may - or may not - have needed a wakeup call on Tuesday, but whatever the case, the Beavers sure as heck got one.

Beaverton, hosting Glencoe in a Class 6A Play-In game at Beaverton High School, saw the Crimson Tide break through with a goal less than two minutes into the contest and carried that 1-0 lead well into the second half.

But the Beavers rallied there, tied the game with 30 minutes to play, then scored twice in less than three minutes to pull away and win 3-1. The victory lifted Beaverton's record to 10-4-1, while Glencoe - the sixth-place team from the Pacific Conference - ended its year at 5-7-3.

Beaverton, the fourth-place finisher from the Metro League, will next host Redmond at x p.m. Saturday in the first round of the Class 6A state playoffs.

As to that first goal, Glencoe junior midfielder Vince Marinello did the honors before most of the day's fans even settled into their seats, making a steal on the right side of the field deep in Beaverton's end of the field, stepping past the Beavers' back line and scoring for a quick 1-0 lead.

Though shaken by that early goal, the Beavers said they knew they'd recover.

'We've been in that situation before, and I knew we were the better team so we just kept playing our game,' said Beaverton senior midfielder Nick Lewis, who scored his team's first goal. 'I knew we'd eventually get back into it and get the result.'

'I was pretty nervous, but I had confidence that we'd come back,' added senior forward Maynor Escalante, who assisted on his team's first score.

While the Beavers remained relatively calm, that 1-0 lead held up for the next 48 minutes despite a great scoring chance by Junior Galan off a Mario Ramirez free kick with 11 minutes to go before halftime, and then a Lewis shot 30 seconds later that forced Tide keeper Lawrance Chel to make a diving save.

The Beavers wouldn't be denied, though. With 30:01 to play in the second half, Escalante took the ball up the left seam, beat a pair of Glencoe defenders, then crossed it quickly to Lewis 12 yards out of goal in the center of the field. Lewis controlled it, turned past one Tide defender and drove the ball into the back of the net to tie the game at 1-1.

'I was trying to go to goal, but I saw (Lewis) in the top six so I just passed it to him,' Escalante said.

'As soon as I saw the ball coming, I knew I had to smash it in there,' Lewis said. 'I knew it was a goal before I hit it.'

Beaverton then got the game winner with 9:23 left to play when Ramirez sent a long free kick into a crowd of players at the right post of the Glencoe goal. Galan got to the ball first and tried to head it, and then senior forward Hunter Krueger stepped in and knocked the ball past Chel to provide his team's first lead at 2-1.

'Junior dove in with his head and then I kicked it off Junior's back into the goal,' Krueger said. 'I just stood there and I was like 'Oh (my). It's going in.' It was a big lift.'

And the Beavers were back in goal just 2:17 later, this time getting a break up the left side of the field and the insurance goal from senior defender Daniel Cicerchi.

'We just needed to pick it up and play our game,' Krueger said. 'We knew we needed to make a statement and win the game. This is just the first step to the finals.'

To see a complete photo gallery from this game, go to