by: VERN UYETAKE Katey Jacobsen, left, celebrates with Brittany Dales after the two combined for the Pacers’ first goal in a 4-2 quarterfial loss to Sunset last week.

The Lakeridge girls soccer team's season came to an end in the quarterfinals last week but the Pacers made sure that they went down fighting.

After giving up a goal in the opening minute of the game and falling behind 2-0 at the half, Lakeridge battled back to tie the game before faltering in the final 10 minutes in a 4-2 loss.

It couldn't have been a much more inauspicious start for the Pacers.

Sunset got a quick scoring chance that caught the Lakeridge defense out of position and the Apollos knocked in a goal less than a minute after the opening whistle.

Ten minutes later the Apollos extended the lead when a penalty kick was awarded after a slide tackle in the corner of the box.

Sunset scored the kick and Lakeridge was suddenly faced with a big deficit just 11 minutes into the game.

The Pacers tightened up the defense from that point on, getting nice play from Kaitlyn Korte on the back line but didn't come up with many scoring chances in the first half.

The team's best chance came when Katey Jacobsen fired a free kick just over the Sunset crossbar.

The Apollos got a bit conservative after building a 2-0 lead and the Pacers looked to take advantage in the second half.

The teams played fairly evenly for most of the game and had an equal number of scoring chances.

Lakeridge got back in the game 11 minute into the second half.

The Pacers earned a cornerkick which was taken by Brittany Dales. She played a ball toward the near post and Jacobsen pounded it in from just a few feet away, cutting the lead in half.

Then, just five minutes later, Jacobsen got the ball behind a pair of Sunset defenders, maintained possession and beat the Apollos' keeper for a game-tying goal.

Lakeridge continued to put pressure on Sunset looking to take the lead but the Apollos regrouped late in the game.

Sunset's Elly Williamson went down in the goal box and a tough penalty kick was awarded with 9:34 to play.

Alicia Alarcon scored her second PK of the game to give Sunset the lead back.

Then, just two minutes later, Emmy Owens got a ball deep in Sunset territory and chipped it into the net to all but put the game away.

It was a tough way to end another very strong season for the Pacers.

Lakeridge took second in the Three Rivers League and pulled off a pair of upsets to reach the quarterfinals. The team graduates seven seniors in the spring.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine