Southridge shuts down Westview's offense, but Cats still win by 1-0
by: Miles Vance JOUSTING — Southridge’s Thomas Peterson (left) and Westview’s Hunter Pinson battle for control of the ball during the Wildcats’ 1-0 win on Saturday at Southridge High School.

BEAVERTON - Westview came into its Saturday state quarterfinal at Southridge High School on an absolute roll.

The Wildcats entered carrying a modest three-game winning streak, but a streak in which Westview had hit its stride and averaged more than six goals per contest.

Southridge, however, wasn't about to let the Wildcats go off on their home field. The Skyhawks, after finishing fifth in the Metro League, came out determined to push the Wildcats to the limit and absolutely succeeded on that front, limiting the Cats to just a first-half score by sophomore Hunter Pinson in Westview's 1-0 win.

'I was expecting two or three more at least, but they're a good team,' said Pinson, who scored midway through the opening half. 'We expected to open it up in the second half. Those big wins are nice, but they don't help you much.'

For their part, the Skyhawks - who finished at 9-8-1 - knew they'd earned the Wildcats' respect.

'We didn't get the result, but we worked hard and really made improvements over the last few games,' said senior defender Bryan Domogalla. 'We brought it, put everything on the field, just didn't get the result.'

'It was great because we played way better than we did the last two times,' said senior midfielder Shawheen Peiravani. 'They're a great team, one of the best teams I've played since I played high school soccer.'

Pinson scored the match's lone goal with 22:40 left in the first half when he corralled a loose ball in traffic after a Velasco kick, then knocked it home from eight yards out on the right side.

While neither team would score again, there were some tantalizing chances along the way, in the first half including Southridge senior Sam Albert's header off a Aaron Freeman corner kick that was stopped by Ishizuka, and Westview senior Jesse DeLeon's header that was stopped by Joe Khalil with 20 minutes to go before the half.

There were more fireworks to come in the second half, too, among them Peiravani's dangerous free kick with 19 minutes to play, Albert's breakaway that Ishizuka stopped 30 seconds later, and finally Albert's near miss to the right following a Alan Bienvenida cross at the five-minute mark.

'I thought they had some pretty good shots, but I did what I had to do,' Ishizuka said. 'I just thought it was a one-goal game so I have to save every single shot.'

While obviously disappointed with the loss, Southridge was proud of its efforts along the way.

'My personal goal was to keep Jaime from scoring and we did it. I knew we had to do that to keep us in it,' said Southridge senior defender Cody Burchfield. And 'we had our chances. We could have done it.'

To see a complete photo gallery from this game, please go to

Go to top