Woodburn boys open with a win and a draw to extend their unbeaten streak to 37 games

by: PHIL HAWKINS - Woodburn's Michael Hobson takes a shot on goal against heavy defense by the South Salem Saxons in Friday's 3-3 draw in the Bulldogs' home opener. Hobson has scored in each of Woodburn's two first games to start the 2013 fall season.The Woodburn boys soccer team picked up where they left off last season, scoring a victory and a draw in their first two games of the season.

The Bulldogs (1-0-1) picked up a 3-2 win at North Salem to start the season with a win Sept. 4, but the visiting South Salem Saxons proved to be a much more difficult opponent in Woodburn’s home opener on Friday evening.

Boasting a pair of towering defenders in Nathan Brase and Jonah Henderson and a 6A pedigree, the Saxons threw everything they could at the Bulldogs. South Salem countered Woodburn’s possession-based offense to take advantage of scoring opportunities in the first half to the tune of a 3-2 lead after 40 minutes.

But Woodburn, led by freshman forward Anthony Santillan’s two goals, controlled the second half and pulled away a 3-3 draw to extend the team’s unbeaten streak to 37 games.

“We had seven or eight point blank shots that were either saved by their keeper or went wide,” said Woodburn coach Stan Baker on the team’s second-half performance. “We dominated the last part of the game but the ball just wouldn’t go in.”

The Bulldogs were the first team to land a blow on Friday night after Santillan scored in the 11th minute. The freshman took a pass from Jesse Martin at the top of the box and shot it past the South Salem keeper into the lower right corner of the goal.

South Salem struck back later in the half to tie the game at 1-1, but Woodburn’s Michael Hobson quickly countered on the Bulldogs’ next possession, weaving past defenders to blast a shot into the net to give his team a 2-1 lead.

Although Woodburn controlled possession of the ball for much of the first half, the Saxons were able to take advantage of the few scoring opportunities available and poured in two goals before the half-time whistle to take a 3-2 advantage.

Faced with a rare deficit, Woodburn went on the attack in the second half and kept the pressure on South Salem.?Santillan scored to tie the game, but the Bulldogs couldn’t connect on any other attempts and the game ended in the Bulldogs’ first draw in 13 games.

Woodburn’s first game of the season against North Salem went much smoother. The Bulldogs again opened with a score in the 11th minute, this time from senior midfielder Cesar Ramos, who connected off a corner kick that ricocheted to his feet from 10 yards out.

The Vikings tied the game 16 minutes later on a penalty kick after Woodburn goalkeeper Kevin Courtney was called for a foul in an attempt to deflect a Viking scoring opportunity.

The Bulldogs struck back in the 37th minute when Hobson sent a shot that deflected off a Viking defender and hit the right and top bars before bouncing into the goal. Sophomore Eric Diaz scored a minute later from five yards out to give the Bulldogs a 3-1 lead at the half.

Both teams traded possessions throughout the second half, but neither could take advantage of any scoring opportunities until the final minutes of the game.

With three minutes left, Courtney attempted to pass the ball to a teammate, but a North Salem player raced in to intercept the ball and easily scored.

The Bulldogs were scheduled to travel to West Salem on Tuesday before playing at home against Willamette High School on Thursday and Summit on Saturday.

by: PHIL HAWKINS - North Marion senior Abner Carrillo races down the left sideline for a scoring opportunity in Thursday's season-opening game against Tillamook. Carrillo was one of four Husky players to score in the team's 5-1 victory over the Cheesemakers.North Marion

The Huskies overcame Thursday’s torrential downpour to score a 5-1 victory over the visiting Tillamook Cheesemakers, and followed with a 2-2 draw against Phoenix two days later.

North Marion (1-0-1) opened the game with a 2-0 lead at the half before the severe thunderstorm rolled in and drenched the field, fans and players. Tillamook coach Brian Reynolds opted to wait for the storm to pass rather than rescheduling the second half for another date, so the team sat through a 90-minute delay before the referees ruled that it was safe to play.

Blessed with slick playing conditions and a rested team, the Huskies scored three times in the second 40-minute period and went on to win by a four-goal margin.

Aaron Caballero led the team with two goals, while Dennis Zapata, Abner Carrillo and Hector Gonzalez each scored to give North Marion their final margin of victory.

On Saturday, the Huskies hosted the perennial 4A powerhouse Phoenix Pirates and played to a 2-2 draw. Results from the game were not available at press time.

North Marion will travel to Cottage Grove on Thursday for the team’s road opener.


The Cougars were down 2-1 after the first half of Thursday’s season-opener against Westside Christian before the game was called due to adverse weather.

Gervais’ Alex Isiordia scored the Cougars’ lone goal. The second half of the game will be rescheduled at a later date this season.

The team was scheduled for a home game against Valley Catholic on Monday before hosting Riverdale on Wednesday.

The Cougars will play their road-opener at De La Salle High School on Sept. 17.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine