A sweet treat
Tour intricate gingerbread houses, then vote for your favorites in citywide contest
Add some fun to your holiday shopping by checking out the second annual gingerbread house competition in Lake Oswego, hosted by the Parks and Recreation Department.
This year, 16 local businesses are showing off their creative side by making one-of-a-kind gingerbread houses and displaying them in their stores up until Christmas.
'It's great. We're really excited,' said Jamie Inglis, events specialists for the parks and recreation. 'I'm sure the competition will be fierce.'
Parks and recreation started the competition last year as a way to involve local businesses.
Shoppers are encouraged to visit as many locations as possible and cast their votes for their favorites through Dec. 25. The winners will be determined by a combination of patron votes and votes by the Holiday House Review Committee.
The creations should be ranked on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best. Patrons should consider the overall appearance, originality/creativity, difficulty and precision.
'We encourage everyone to try and visit them all,' Inglis said.
Last year, more than 800 votes were cast and winner was Gubanc's Pub, which had created its own Lake Grove tree house using more than 30 pounds of homemade gingerbread. Runner-up was Ferguson's Lake Oswego, which created a mini gingerbread Windsor Castle.
This year's participating businesses are:
· Accessories From the Heart, 220 A Ave., ste. 100
· The Clothes Closet, 252 B Ave.
· Frog Pond Toys and Lily Pad Café, 310 N. State St., ste. 102
· Gemini Bar and Grille, 456 N. State St.
· Graham's Book and Stationery, 460 Second St.
· The Grand Papery, 459 Second St.
· Gubanc's Pub, 16008 Boones Ferry Road
· Lake Oswego Hunt Club, 2725 S.W. Iron Mountain Blvd.
· Maher's Pub, 352 B Ave.
· The Oilerie Lake Oswego, 438 First St.
· Play Boutique, 464 First St.
· Sixpence Antiques, 519 Third St.
· Step it Up Studios, 101 A Ave.
· Terrace Kitchen Restaurant, 485 Second St.
· Upper Crust Bakery, 41 B Ave.
· World Class Wines, 269 A Ave.
Maps are available at each participating business and at the Parks and Recreation office, 4101 Kruse Way, Lake Oswego. For more information, call 503-675-2549 or visit www.lakeoswegoparks.org.