Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Dogs perish in house fire

Blaze began on kitchen stove burner
by: Submitted A fire that started on the stove in this Galewood Street home’s kitchen caused an estimated $115,000 in damage and killed two dogs on Tuesday.

A kitchen fire at a home on Galewood Street killed two dogs and caused $115,000 in damage Tuesday evening.

Just after 5 p.m., a passerby noticed smoke coming out of a two-story home at 4396 Galewood St. By the time firefighters from the Westlake station arrived at the scene, smoke was pouring out from the eves and the entire house was filled with dark smoke.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames after locating the fire's source in the kitchen.

According to the fire department, the homeowners had left at about 4:15 p.m., leaving their three greyhounds inside. One dog ran outside to escape the fire, but the other two were trapped upstairs and perished.

Fire investigators discovered that a burner on the kitchen stove was left on or had possibly been turned on by one of the dogs. This ignited the plastic housing of a fryer that was sitting on top of the stove.

Estimated damages were $75,000 to the home's structure and $40,000 to the contents.

Lake Oswego firefighters were assisted by Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue.

Watch videos shot at the scene of the fire here and here.