Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Grease fire damages Brentwood-Darlington home

by: David F. Ashton These two kitties anxiously waited in the rear window of a Portland Police patrol car, while firefighters finished their activities inside their house.

A cooking-related fire damaged the kitchen of a home in the 6200 block of S.E. Flavel Street on November 11th - but quick response by Woodstock's Fire Station 25 crews kept it from turning into a tragedy.

'The fire extended into some of the kitchen's cabinetry,' reported PF and R Battalion Chief District 4, Leo Krick. 'But there wasn't any extension into the structure.'

After the fire, PF and R Public Information office Paul Corah told THE BEE, 'The cause was hot oil that spilled out of the pan onto the hot stove. The damages were $7,000, with $5,000 to building and $2,000 to the contents.'

A 39-year-old man was injured in the fire, Corah added, but the extent of his injuries was unknown.

'With kitchen grease fires, turn off the heat source - try to smother the fire by putting a lid on top of the pan - and call 9-1-1 as soon as possible,' Corah instructed. 'Don't carry the pan anywhere; if you can use a kitchen-approved fire extinguisher, or baking soda to slow the fire - but NEVER use water or flour on grease fires.'