Thursday recap and some notes
- Pamplin Media
- Central Oregonian - Features
Just to recap Thursday's games -- the Cowboys baseball team crushed La Pine 19-0 in five innings. Austin Marks hit a homer, and pitcher Jimmy Thomasson threw five shutout innings, and went 2 of 3 with a double. They'll play at home on Saturday against West Linn.
The Cowgirls softball team received a strong pitching performance against La Pine as well. Hayley Porterfield and Bre Crakes combined for a perfect game on Thursday, and led the Cowgirls to an 8-0 victory.
For all you novices, a perfect game is a game in which there are no base runners. So it's basically a no-hitter, but better.
The Cowgirls will open their Intermountain Conference schedule on Tuesday at Madras.
On another note, Crook County High School Athletic Director Tim Porter announced on Tuesday that he'll be taking the position as principal in Condon next year. He'll finish out this year as AD.
Who the next person is is anybody's guess. The school district will look in-house first, and then explore outside if need be.
I congratulate Porter on a job well done and wish him good luck.
In other news, the Crook County Sparkles will perform this weekend at the state championships. I'll have a story from Portland on Tuesday.
And in case, for some freakish reason, you were wondering how I'm doing on my bracket, well, in a special "league" I'm in right now, I'm in fourth place out of 16 people. Picking Gonzaga nearly killed me (I had them in the Sweet 16), but VCU and UNLV put me back in it.
A couple notes here:
- It was nice to see Stanford show up.
- Although being from the Boston area, I still hate Boston College.
- I knew Butler was going to make a fool of everyone who picked Old Dominion, and yet, I still picked Old Dominion.
- Go Ducks.
- Duke's first-round exit was fantastic. Everyone hates Duke, except those who go there, so it was really nice to root against Duke, and root for a bunch of players (VCU) who Duke could have recruited, but ultimately decided weren't good enough for Duke. Good times.