Second guilty plea in Michael McGovern shooting death


by: SUBMITTED - Mark Camarena The driver in last year’s shooting death of Michael McGovern in Woodburn has pleaded guilty to manslaughter, according to the Woodburn Police Department.

Mark Antonio Camarena, 22, will be sentenced in November for his role in the Sept. 18, 2012 shooting, which occurred near the intersection of Hardcastle Avenue and Gatch Street in Woodburn.

Earlier this month, Daniel Nepomuceno pleaded guilty to murder with a firearm for his role in the drive-by shooting. He was sentenced to life in prison with a minimum of 25 years.

“We’re always pleased when there is a plea,” said Chief Scott Russell of WPD. “We’re thankful for the work of the DA’s office and our investigators for saving the family and all citizen witnesses a trial. Those are always traumatic and we’re thankful that we were able to get a plea.”

Once the shooter pleaded guilty, it became more difficult for the driver to say he didn’t know what happened, Russell said.

SANDY POST: MATT RAWLINGS - Sandy receiver Chaise Carmony finds his way through traffic for a big gain in the teams 47-33 home win over Hillsboro on Friday.

Northwest Oregon Conference
5A football