A fire in the basement of a North Front Street house displaced 15 people Tuesday morning.

The fire in the house at 1009 N. Front St. was contained to the basement, and all occupants got out safely, including pet birds.

Eulalia Griffith, the house's owner and mother of nine, said one of her grandchildren was waiting for the school bus around 7:30 a.m. when he saw smoke coming from the basement.

"It was just an accident," she said.

She said she thinks a candle had lit a mattress in the basement on fire.

Woodburn Fire Marshal Joel Stein said the household of nine adults and six children were being helped by the American Red Cross.

"Damage is mostly in the basement, but because smoke goes up, there are fumes, so we don't want them back in there," he said.

The fire was a two-alarm because, according to Woodburn Fire Chief Paul Iverson, "It was in the basement and harder to get to."

In addition to Woodburn Fire District, engines from Hubbard and Marion County fire districts also responded to the blaze, which was contained within 30 minutes.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine