Pal's Shanty burns in two-alarm blaze
- Pamplin Media Group
- Portland Tribune - News
Popular Portland restaurant and bar, Pal's Shanty, was the scene of a two-alarm fire that began early Friday morning.
At 1:28 a.m., Portland Fire and Rescue crews were dispatched to the restaurant located at 4630 NE Sandy Blvd. Original reports from callers were that an explosion was heard and then sparks and smoke were seen coming out of a second story window.
When fire crews arrived they found large amounts of smoke coming from the two-story building and were immediately concerned about the amount of exposure neighboring buildings had to the fire.
Once crews recognized the threat of fire spreading, a second alarm was called adding additional engines and ladder trucks to the scene. At one point crews were ordered to evacuate the building due to increasingly hazardous conditions being reported from fire crews inside the building.
With the help of multiple ladder truck companies, engine crews were ordered back in to finish the job of extinguishing the fire.
As of 3:45 a.m. this morning, crews were still on scene assisting fire investigators with removing burnt material and debris from the interior so that a cause can be determined.
At this time, there is no information regarding cause or value loss at this time. No injuries to occupants or firefighters were reported.