Early morning blaze displaces 11
Ross Adams and his family spent the early hours of Wednesday morning watching firefighters battle a blaze at a neighboring duplex, and hoping the fire didnt spread to theirs.
Firefighters with Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue responded to reports of a fire at the duplex in the 1900 block of Ostman Road in West Linn about 1:15 a.m.
I thought the fire would take our house out too, said Adams, who lives two doors down from the unit that was gutted by flames.
No one was injured in the fire, according to authorities. Firefighters did rescue and resuscitate a pet cat. The Red Cross is assisting 11 people, including three children, who were displaced by the fire.
An investigator has determined that unattended cooking was to blame for the blaze. The fire was fed by natural gas, which added complexity to the incident. There was no damage estimate as of press time.
Adams said he was awoken by his barking dog. When he realized the neighboring duplex was on fire, he evacuated his family and watched from across the street.
The flames were really big. The fire spread quickly, he said. There were a couple different explosions. It was pretty crazy.
Firefighters from TVF&R's Willamette Fire Station 59 were first to arrive at the blaze and began an aggressive defensive fire attack and search of the affected duplex.
Because of the intensity of the fire and the threat to the neighboring duplex, as well as trees and fences, the incident commander called for more personnel. For 40 minutes, nearly 50 firefighters from TVF&R, Lake Oswego Fire Department and Clackamas Fire District worked to contain and extinguish the fire. West Linn Police officers and paramedics were also on the scene.
They did an excellent job, Adams said of the firefighters.