Weekend To-Dos for March 23
- Gresham Outlook - Features
Edgefield Live Music Series - McMenamins Edgefield, 2126 S.W. Halsey St., Troutdale. All shows are for ages 21 and older and are held in the Winery, unless noted otherwise. For more information, visit mcmenamins.com/edgefield or call 503-669-8610.
Upcoming shows are listed below.
• Hanz Araki, 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 23. Irish flute player Hanz Araki is the quintessential world musician. The Japanese-American musician has performed around the world with Irish music groups such as the Juno Award-winning Paperboys and fiddle duo The Bridies.
• Great Northwest Music Tour: The David Mayfield Parade, 7 p.m. Thursday, March 24, Blackberry Hall. Grammy-nominated musician and producer David Mayfield is a force of nature on stage. His energy and out-and-out enthusiasm for performing are evident at every show, whether it's with another band or his own band, The David Mayfield Parade. All ages allowed.
• Ian McFeron Trio, 7 p.m. Thursday, March 24. The diverse musicianship of its members allows the Ian McFeron Band to shift smoothly through a variety of roots-Americana styles, ranging from acoustic folk rock to gritty alt-country blues, from heartfelt, soulful ballads to driving, danceable backbeat groves.
• John Bunzow, 7 p.m. Friday, March 25. Oregon native John Bunzow has been called one of the finest writers and roots-musicians on the current music scene.
• Chris Robley's False Fables, 7 p.m. Saturday, March 26. A veteran of various pop, art-rock, punk and jazz bands, Robley delivers bedroom pop with ambient folk elements, unusually abundant in imagination and vision.
• Sonny Hess and Lisa Mann, 5 p.m. Sunday, March 27. Two great blueswomen team up: One is a Northwest blues legend renowned for her fiery guitar playing, and the other a high-energy, bass-thumping musician who performs a style of blues injected rock that's been described as Bonnie Raitt meets Liz Phair.
• Skip vonKuske, 7 p.m. Monday, March 28. With experience in classical, jazz, flamenco, klezmer, pop, rock, and folk music of numerous cultures, cellist Skip vonKuske is separated from his classical music counterparts by his improvisational skills.
• Succotash, 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 29. Succotash is a Portland-based acoustic trio with roots in the Americana music tradition featuring old time, bluegrass, gospel, stringband and more.
• The Radical Revolution, 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 30. Bring back memories with this '80s cover band.
M and M Lounge Music - M and M Restaurant and Lounge, 137 N. Main Ave. All shows are free for ages 21 and older unless noted. For more information, visit myspace.com/mandmlounge or call 503-665-2626.
• Spinella's Off the Wall, 9 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, March 23-24.
• Radiophyler, 9:30 p.m. Friday, March 25. Rock.
• Jim Mesi, 9:30 p.m. Saturday, March 26. R and B, blues and surf.
• Spinella's Off the Wall, 9 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, March 30-31.
Park Place Coffee Live Music Series - 7 to 9 p.m. Saturdays, Park Place Coffee, 1288 S.E. 182nd Ave. Free and all ages are welcome. Visit parkplacecoffee.com or call 503-808-1244.
• 'Local Songwriters Night' featuring Dan Dover and Guests, March 26. A native of Oklahoma (and self-described philosopher, poet and songwriter), Dover has 'roamed 10,000 miles just looking for the tune' on his musical journey.
• Sanchez Blues Review, April 2. Steve Sanchez plays fine acoustic blues.
An Evening in Music - 7 p.m. Friday, April 1, Rockwood United Methodist Church, 17805 S.E. Stark St. Enjoy an evening of music with performers Chrisler Hodge and Zita Jefferson. A free will offering will be collected to benefit the Rockwood UMC children's summer camping program. Visit rockwoodumc.org or call 503-665-8764.
Riverview Restaurant - The Riverview Restaurant, 29311 S.E. Stark St., Troutdale. The restaurant features live music from musicians who play a style of light jazz with subtle modern and classical influences. For more information, call 503-661-3663 or visit yoshidariverview.com. Closed on holidays.
• Craig Bidondo, 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
• Tommy Rodriguez, 6 to 9 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays.
• Tim Gilson and Craig Bidondo, 5 to 9 p.m. Sundays.
Out and About
Friday Night Wine Tasting - 5 to 9 p.m. Fridays, Allegri Wine Shop and Art Gallery, 44 N. Main Ave. Tastings are $12 unless noted otherwise. Call 503-465-1841 for information.
• March 25: Spanish wines with Margaux Waggermann from Lemma Wine Co., and Vanessa Holden from Missionary Chocolates.