THURSDAY, JANUARY 1
· NEW YEAR'S DAY holiday - All non-emergency government services and most businesses closed today, including the news office for the Lake Oswego Review and the West Linn Tidings. Happy New Year everyone.
FRIDAY, JANUARY 2
· WALLMASTERS TOASTMASTERS - 6:45 a.m., TOC Management Services, 6825 SW Sandburg Rd., Tigard. Contact Cleon Cox 503-684-3581.
· JOB FINDERS SUPPORT GROUP - Noon to 2 p.m. at Capitol Hill Library, 10723 SW Capitol Highway, Portland. Contact Cleon Cox 503-684-3581.
SATURDAY, JANUARY 3
· LAKE OSWEGO NEIGHBORHOOD ACTION COALITION (LONAC) - 9:30 a.m., Oswego Heritage House, 10th St. and A Ave. Open to the community for discussion of neighborhood issues. Contact John Pullen, 503-636-9447.
· HOLIDAY TREE AND GREENERY RECYCLING - 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Local scout groups will collect Christmas trees and wreaths for recycling at George Rogers Park, Jan. 3, 4; Westlake Park, Jan. 3, 4. There will be a small fee or request for donation. For additional information, contact the citizen information center at 503-635-0247.
· MARY S. YOUNG IVY PULL - 9 a.m., Mary S. Young Park. Bring gloves and dress for the weather.
· WALUGA LODGE, A.F. AND A.M. - 8 a.m. open breakfast, tiled meeting at 9 a.m. at 417 2nd St., Lake Oswego. For more information contact the Master of the Lodge at 503-657-3683.
SUNDAY, JANUARY 4
· FUTURE STARS YOUTH COMMUNICATION AND LEADERSHIP CLUB - 5 to 6:15 p.m., Cascade Summit Apartments Clubhouse, 22100 Horizon Dr., West Linn. Based on Toastmasters model. Open to all, contact Cathey Armillas at 503-453-7785.
Monday, JANUARY 5
· WEST LINN CITY COUNCIL SWEARING IN - 6 p.m., West Linn City Hall, Council Chambers.
· WEST LINN GARDEN CLUB - 7 p.m., West Linn Lutheran Church, 20390 Willamette Dr. Bruce Wakefield of the Hardy Plant Society will present Gardens of Southwest England. Guests are welcome.
· COMPUTER USER'S GROUP - 9 a.m., Q and A session; 9:30 a.m. Turbo Tax, Part 1 with Dick Steingraber. Lake Oswego Adult Community Center.
TUESDAY, JANUARY 6
· SCRABBLE CLUB - 6:45 p.m., Lakewood Center for the Arts. Club meets weekly. Contact Ruth Hamilton 503-675-7663.
· GRUPO DE CHARLAR - 6 to 8 p.m. at West Linn Public Library. Open to Spanish speakers of all skill levels, or Spanish speakers who would like to practice their English.
· WEST LINN HISTORIC RESOURCE ADVISORY BOARD - 7 p.m., West Linn City Hall, Willamette Room.
· LAKE OSWEGO PASS THE GAVEL PARTY - 6:30 to 8 p.m., West End Building, 4101 Kruse Way. Welcome to newly elected mayor and city councilors.
· STAFFORD TUALATIN CITIZEN PLANNING ORGANIZATION MEETING - 7:30 p.m., Stafford Elementary School cafeteria. Contact Sally Visher at 503-638-9494.
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 7
· ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES STUDY GROUP - 6:45 p.m., West Linn Library. This month's discussion is on the first two chapters of 'The State of the World 2008.' Open to the public.
· FIRST ADDITION/FOREST HILLS NEIGHBORS COORDINATING COMMITTEE - 7 p.m., Lake Oswego Adult Community Center. Contact Lisa Shaw-Ryan at 503-697-8995 or www.geocities.com/firstadditionlo .
· CASA PROGRAM OF CLACKAMAS COUNTY - 6 to 7 p.m., 1001 S.W. Molalla Ave., Suite 203, Oregon City. Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA's) speak for abused and neglected children in the juvenile court system. Volunteers attend training. For more information call 503-723-0521 or visit www.casa-cc.org .
THURSDAY, JANUARY 8
· 50+ ADVISORY BOARD - 8:30 a.m., West End Building, 2nd Floor, 4101 Kruse Way. Contact Ann Adrian 503-635-3758 .
· MAC USERS GROUP - 12:30 p.m., Lake Oswego Adult Community Center. Digital Photography.
Send news of your event to What's Happening, Review/Tidings, P.O. Box 548, Lake Oswego, Ore. 97034. Deadline for submissions is noon Friday before the next publication date.