Featured Stories

Letters to the Editor

Le jour de gloire est arrivé!

Given the average American's unbelievable ignorance of history, it will come as a surprise to many that we owe our very existence to France. Without their support, George Washington would have been shot as a traitor and we'd have a Parliament instead of a Congress.

And twice we have shown our gratitude in the most precious of coin, the youth of our country.

It is with those thoughts in mind that I glory in the actions taken by French President Nicolas Sarkozy in taking the lead to remove the madman Gadhafi; to help the Libyan people, as they helped us, in their search for liberty, equality and freedom.

Allons enfants de la Patrie, Le jour de gloire est arrivé!

ISADOR W. MORGAVI

Tigard

Committeeperson elections needless

Do you know that your county is required by law to pay election costs at every May primary for the Democratic and Republican parties precinct committeeperson (PCP) elections?

In May 2010, statewide there were 17,244 PCP positions that were open for election and printed on local ballots. Only 3,478 (20 percent) candidates filed to secure that their names were printed on the ballot; the other 13,766 (80 percent) positions were blank, becoming 'write-in' positions. County clerks counted 37,350 write-in candidates, but because a candidate must receive at least three votes to win, only 681 (2 percent) qualified as write-in nominees. The cost for the PCP election to Oregon counties statewide more than $236,000. Those are your tax dollars, folks.

For example, Washington County spent $11,182 to elect 390 people to the Democratic and Republican Party precinct committees.

HB 2492 eliminates the requirement that counties conduct PCP elections. The major political parties are a strong lobbying power vowing to make sure that HB 2492 doesn't get a hearing and doesn't get to either the Senate floor or the House floor for a vote.

You can help this bill get a hearing on the Senate side by contacting Sen. Diane Rosenbaum, chair of the Senate Rules Committee, phone 503-986-1700, or e-mail her at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ; and on the House side by contacting Rep. Paul Holvey, co-chair of the House Rules Committee, phone 503-986-1408, or e-mail him at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Ask that they ensure HB 2492 receives a hearing in each of their respective committees.

Next, contact your legislators and ask that they vote 'yes' in favor of HB 2492 without amendments. If you don't have their contact information, call your county clerk or election official.

DEANNA BERMAN

Crook County clerk