- SW Connection - Features
The building in the photo above was located at the southwest corner of Southwest Clinton Street - now Southwest 35th Avenue - and Southwest Capitol Highway, where Acapulco's Southwest Gold Restaurant now stands. The Pfeiffer brothers built it in 1912.
In January 1924, pharmacist Lloyd Ellis and his wife Jane moved to Multnomah. Shortly thereafter, they bought the Multnomah Pharmacy and the Pfeiff er building that housed it. Ellis was a founding member of the Multnomah Boosters Club, an association to work for the betterment of the community and its businesses. Ellis tore the Pfeiffer building down in 1929, replacing it with the building now on the corner. The strain and long hours of operating the store took their toll on Ellis and his wife, and in January 1934, Ellis sold the pharmacy. A pharmacy continued to operate at the location under various names until 1970.
For this and hundreds of other historic images of Multnomah, visit the Multnomah Historical Association's website at www.multnomahhistorical.com.
- Submitted by the Multnomah Historical Association