Sandy resident Carroll Mayfield would be 77 when released

A Sandy man who fired a gun into a Gresham poker room, shooting two men and endangering five other people, was sentenced to 10 years in prison Wednesday, March 9.

Carroll Mayfield, 67, pleaded no contest in December to seven counts of attempted murder and two counts of first-degree assault before Multnomah County Circuit Court Judge Michael McShane.

He faced a minimum sentence of 90 months, or 7-and-a-half years in prison, and a maximum of 630 months, or 52-and-a-half years.

Prosecutor Christine Mascal requested a sentence of 180 months, or 15 years, which reflects the permanent injuries suffered by two of the victims.

'I think it would be absurd to ask for the maximum sentence in this case,' she said. 'We're lucky we're not here on murder charges or aggravated murder charges.'

Why Mayfield stood in the doorway of the Gresham Players Club at 106 N. Main Ave. on Jan. 29, 2010, and opened fire on seven people remains a mystery. He'd been drinking and was intoxicated when he emptied his five-shot .357-caliber Smith and Wesson, equipped with a laser scope.

Mascal said Mayfield has a history of alcohol abuse and according to tests has 'normal aging, memory problems,' she said.

Mayfield's defense attorney, Russell Barnett, argued for the minimum sentence, saying the medical scans show Mayfield to be in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease. 'Anything more than 90 months is a life sentence for this man,' Barnett said.

But the two men he shot - Jason Chapman, 38, and Richard Gilbertson, 44, both of Gresham - are serving life sentences of their own, Chapman has said. One bullet landed a quarter inch from Chapman's heart. Another bullet went through Gilbertson's upper left arm. He now has permanent nerve damage.

'The loss of feeling and the full use of my arm and hand is going to be with me for the rest of my life,' Gilbertson wrote in a statement read by a court advocate. In it he described the bloody scene of chaos as he begged people for a tourniquet to save his arm.

'I have worked hard with my hands my whole life to provide for my family, and now you have left me trying to figure out how to provide for them with just one,' he wrote.

Since the shooting, he's been unable to return to work as a delivery driver for Frito-Lay.

Chapman, who now walks with a cane, also can no longer work. He was self-employed as a roofer before the shooting. Since then, he's undergone more than 50 surgeries and procedures, with more in his future.

Both shooting victims have filed lawsuits seeking nearly $6.4 million from Mayfield, the Gresham Players Club and the Gresham Eagles Lodge, which the suit alleges continued to serve alcohol to a visibly intoxicated Mayfield before the shooting.

When asked if he'd like to address the court, Mayfield tearfully said he had no explanation for what he did.

'I lost a few hours of my life and when I came to, I was in a police station being told what happened,' Mayfield said. 'I didn't believe it.'

'If there was any way that I could take your pain and your suffering, and not just yours but your family's, I would take that in a heartbeat,' Mayfield said.

Mayfield also expressed remorse to his wife of 40 years.

Twenty-two years ago, when she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, he vowed to be there for her.

'And that's not gonna happen now,' Mayfield said, choking back his tears. 'Something happened, and I don't know what happened, and it's just driving me crazy.'

Looking down, he wiped his eyes and sobbed.

Then he apologized to the judge for crying.

Judge McShane acknowledged Mayfield's remorse and lack of criminal history, as well as and letters of support from family and friends - 16 of whom packed the courtroom.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine