Lents house fire damages 68 Corvette
- Portland Tribune - News
Classic car buffs might want to turn away. A garage fire in the Lents neighborhood Monday evening damaged a 1968 Chevrolet Corvette and burned part of the car owner's house.
Portland Fire and Rescue firefighters were called at about 7:32 p.m. Monday to a house at 6605 S.E. 91st Ave., where smoke was roiling from the house's garage. Inside, firefighters discovered the Corvette and a fire that started when gasoline vapors from the car ignited after contacting a utility light lying on the garage floor.
Residents quickly got out of the house as the fire spread from the garage to the one-story dwelling.
It took firefighters about 20 minutes to extinguish the blaze.
No one was injured in the fire. Fire investigators estimated that the fire did about $50,000 damage to the house. There was no estimate on how much damage was done to the Corvette.