Police search Southeast Portland for serial armed robbers
Taverns and 'lottery deli's' have been the favored target of a pair of armed robbers who police suspect are the same ones who have been terrorizing employees and patrons across Inner Southeast Portland.
Of eight nighttime robberies, the first of which was near S.E. Powell Boulevard and 39th (Chavez), police say these suspects brandish black handguns, and then demand cash from the bartender or clerk on duty.
A recent example of this robbery rampage happened March 28, at approximately 1:02 am, at the Shamrock Tavern, at 4919 S.E. 82nd Avenue.
'Officers learned that the suspects entered the bar by smashing out the glass in a door,' reported Portland Police Bureau (PPB) Public Information Officer Lt. Kelli Sheffer. 'They ordered two customers to the floor, and demanded money from the bartender. After obtaining an undisclosed amount of money, the suspects ordered the bartender to stay in a closet as they fled the area.'
PPB Public Information Officer Sgt. Pete Simpson later revealed, 'Portland Police Robbery Detectives have been investigating several armed robberies in the past few months involving two men who have been armed.'
Investigators believe that the robberies may be connected, Simpson added - and are asking for the public's help in identifying the suspects.
'The Portland Police Bureau, in cooperation with Crime Stoppers [refer to their case #11-13], is asking for your help in identifying two suspects who may be responsible for a series of armed robberies,' Simpson said, and listed the dates of the holdups detectives say were done by the pair of gunmen:
• On January 11, 2011, at approximately 10:15 pm, the suspects robbed Maddy's at 3959 S.E. Powell Boulevard.
• On January 12, 2011, at approximately 8:30 p.m., the suspects robbed Cooper's Coffee at 6049 S.E. Stark Street.
• On January 23, 2011, at approximately 9:30 pm, the suspects robbed a patron at the Checkered Flag, located at 7483 S.E. 82nd Avenue.
• On February 1, 2011, at approximately 7:17 pm, the suspects robbed Rose City Tobacco and Pipes, located at 729 S.E. Morrison Street.
• On February 2, 2011, at approximately 9:08 pm, the suspects robbed Ed's Deli, located at 3534 S.E. 52nd Avenue.
• On February 6, 2011, at approximately 8:20 pm., the suspects robbed Domino's Pizza, located at 453 N.E. 70th Avenue.
• On March 2, 2011, at approximately 10:36 pm, the suspects robbed Ed's Deli in the Creston-Kenilworth neighborhood a second time.
• On March 28, 2011, at approximately 12:45 a.m., the suspects robbed the Shamrock Tavern, located at 4919 S.E. 82nd Avenue.
In many of the robberies, Simpson said, the suspects were armed with black handguns. The suspects are described as black males. One is approximately 5'8", 170 lbs., and the second is approximately 5'10", 200 lbs.
Possible suspect vehicles include a late 1980's silver Toyota 4-door and/or a dark blue 1990's two door, possibly a Dodge Neon.
Surveillance video of one of the robberies is available for viewing on YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8HL8B4DbP0
Crime Stoppers is offering a cash reward of up to $1,000 for information, reported to Crime Stoppers, that leads to an arrest in this case, or any unsolved felony, and you remain anonymous. Call Crime Stoppers at 503-823-4357, or leave a tip online at: www.crimestoppersoforegon.com , or text 823HELP plus your tip, and send it to CRIMES (274697).