6 ways to meet your New Year's resolution
1) Set short-term, attainable goals. 'I'm going to walk around the perimeter of the gym instead of sitting in my car while my child has practice.' Or 'I'm going to stop by the gym on my way home and exercise for just 10 minutes.' The extra weight you'd like to lose didn't accumulate overnight, so don't expect it to come off overnight.
2) Plan ahead. Go grocery shopping often enough that you're not forced to binge because you've missed lunch. Pack healthful snacks so you can eat four to six small meals during the day.
3) Create a habit. It takes 21-30 days to create a habit. Find a time that works with your schedule to fit in some consistent exercise. Adding two to five days of cardio for 20 minutes each time can help you shed those pounds faster.
4) Measure how you feel instead of what the scale says. How is your energy level? How well do you sleep at night? Are you eating well-balanced meals?
5) Seek professional help. Meeting with a physician can rule out any underlying health issues a person may be unaware of. Meeting with a physical therapist can help with past issues or limitations preventing you from accomplishing your goals.
6) Enjoy yourself. Make your goal fun by teaming up with a friend. Create challenges, support one another and hold each other accountable.
By Arron Frye
Forest Grove Health and Fitness