- Portland Tribune - Sports
Next: Colorado Mammoth at Portland, 7:30 p.m. Jan. 24, Rose Garden
• Colorado leads the five-team West Division at 2-0, with wins of 10-9 over Calgary and 14-11 over Edmonton. The Mammoth are idle until their visit to Portland.
• LumberJax forward Dan Dawson says Portland would like to get about 25 5-on-5 opportunities. But in last week's season-opening, 14-11 loss to New York, the Jax got only about 10.
'And we were settling for outside shots,' Dawson says. 'We need to start driving to the middle, and we have to draw penalties ourselves.'
• The Jax say they still have confidence in veteran goalie Dallas Eliuk, who was removed from the opener after giving up five first-quarter goals, including some power play scores. Matt King replaced Eliuk and played decently.
Coach Derek Keenan says Eliuk got thrown off, mentally, by an NLL equipment check that found his upper pads to be too big.
'He's been in this league a long time,' Dawson says, of Eliuk. 'He was a bit choked up (after the opener), but we've got his back. Trust me, he's still there. No question in the dressing room we have full faith in him.'
• Forward Derek Malawsky felt the absence of scrimmages against other teams in the preseason worked against the Jax.
'In training camp, we worked hard, but without any game situations,' he says.