Dr. Phil firefighter arrested

UPDATE: Portland firefighter Brandon King charged with official misconduct
by: CourTESY OF Multnomah County Sheriff's Office, Top: King's mug shot. Below: King on the "Dr. Phil" show.

A Portland firefighter has been charged with official misconduct, initiating a false report, and second-degree disorderly conduct for making mispresentations while calling a poison control hotline for advice.

Brandon A. King, 34, was indicted secretly on Jan. 25 and arrested Jan. 28 in Washington County.

He was arraigned this morning in Multnomah County Circuit Court where the charges were detailed. In attendance was reporter Jim Hyde of the Portland Tribune's news partner, Fox News 12. According to Hyde, the indictment focused on a call King made on the evening of Nov. 29 to the Poison Control Center.

King is alleged to have identified himself as a firefighter on a call and said that he needed information on someone who had swallowed 21 pills of methadone.

He's said to have later admitted lying to the poison control center, that he was not actually working at the time he made the call.

King reportedly told Portland Fire Bureau investigator that he has been suffering from back problems, alcohol abuse and addiction to painkillers.

This is not the firefighter's first dose of notoriety.

Last September, he appeared on the popular national talk show, Dr. Phil, with his wife and her best friend. There, he was accused of a variety of bizarre behavior, including drugging a teenage nanny and forcing himself upon her, threatening his wife's life, and disciplining his stepdaughter by soaking her with a garden hose outside in the winter.

On the show, King denied threatening his wife's life. He admitted that he had 'sprayed down' his stepdaughter and slept with the family's 18-year-old live-in nanny, but he denied drugging her.

He said sometimes the babysitter would take painkillers from the couple's dresser drawers, but "I didn't give them to her."

According to police spokesman Brian Schmautz, King's indictment has no connection to his appearance on the talk show.

And according to the fire bureau, King's appearance on the show did not in itself violate any policies. Although a bureau rule forbids bringing disrepute upon the bureau, King did not identify his employer or give his last name on the show.

'He didn't violate any of our internal rules because all of the things that were talked about … were either alleged but not proven, and nobody ever complained, and police never investigated,' fire bureau spokesman Lt. Allen Oswalt said.

Over the years, there have been two restraining orders filed against King by his wife, Amy, in Washington County Circuit Court.

In 2002, while living in Beaverton, she filed for a restraining order against him, saying he'd 'threatened to beat me up and/or kill me.'

According to court documents, she accused him of pushing her and breaking furniture at her home. She also claimed that when police responded to her house, 'they saw all the damage he had done (and) saw me cowering and crying in the corner. Because of Brandon's (fire) position in the community the officers left.'

In March 2007, living in Tigard, Amy King filed for another restraining order, court records show. She said he had threatened her and announced that he was 'moving back in' against her will 'because he deserves it. He said 'be careful what you say because you are walking a slippery slope.' "

King was placed on leave last month pending the criminal investigation of his poison control call.

King's trial on the pending charges is scheduled for March 17.


Late last week, a Multnomah County Grand Jury indicted 34-year-old Brandon A. King, a Portland Fire Bureau Firefighter, on one count each of Official Misconduct in the First Degree, Initiating a False Report, and Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree based on information developed in an investigation that began after a November 29, 2007, phone call to the OHSU Poison Control Center. In the original phone call, the suspect called the poison control center, identified himself as a firefighter, and told the call taker that he was on an emergency call with an overdose victim. During the call, the suspect identified a specific narcotic consumed by a patient and asked for assistance in treating the patient. The call ended after the suspect received advice from the Poison Control Center.

Consistent with their policy, the Poison Control Center made a follow-up call to determine if the patient survived. Through a series of conversations with different members of the Fire Bureau, it was determined that the suspect was not on an emergency call at the time he contacted poison control and that the patient did not exist. The Fire Bureau became concerned about the suspect's true purpose for calling OHSU and asked a Portland Police Detective assigned to the Arson Unit of the Fire Bureau to conduct an independent investigation.

The investigation confirmed that the suspect did call OHSU and, because the call was fictitious, he initiated a false report. All information learned during the investigation was presented to the Grand Jury who returned an indictment late last week.

When the Police Bureau became involved in this investigation there was information about the suspect's appearance on a talk show being reported in the media. The Portland Police detective conducting this investigation was specifically instructed to focus on the suspect's actions in his contact with OSHU. If any crime occurred in connection with statement made during the talk show, the crimes occurred outside Multnomah County and are outside of the jurisdiction of the Police Bureau or the District Attorney's Office.