LO farmstead is on historic register
Built during the Civil War, the Shipley-Cook Farmstead on the outskirts of Lake Oswego was recently listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
An Oregon farmstead with a farmhouse and a barn, the Shipley-Cook Farmstead, located in the Hazelia District at 18451 S.W. Stafford Road, was entered as an example of a settlement era farm with structures representing distinctive period construction techniques.
Built in 1862, the farmhouse is one of the first buildings in the area. Historic preservationists describe the house as a 'cross-wing' building and consider it a noteworthy example of box construction, a method used by Euro-American settlers, according to a press release from the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. A woodshed and a cream separator building are still attached.
The barn is one of the oldest structures of its type in Clackamas County. Its builders used hand-hewn timbers with mortise-and-tenon joints.
The State Historic Pres-ervation Office announced the listing after it was notified by the National Park Service, which maintains the National Register under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
The state Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended the nomination.