- The Times - Features
- Family health classes at Legacy Meridian Park Hospital, 19300 S.W. 65th Ave., Community Health Education Center. Call for information and to register.
- Yoga for Fitness - Saturdays, March 8 - April 26, 8:15 to 9:30 a.m. Cost: $72. Eight-week class. Increase balance, muscular strength, flexibility, cardio-respiratory endurance and digestive efficiency. 503-335-3500.
- Babysitting Safety - Saturday, March 8, 9 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Cost: $35. For children ages 11 and older. American Red Cross certification. 503-280-1440.
- Communication Strategies for Couples - Saturdays, March 8 and 15, noon to 3 p.m. Cost: $30 per couple. Two-session class. Learn communication, listening skills, assertiveness, problem solving, negotiation and compromise. 503-335-3500.
- Mindfulness Stress Reduction - Mondays, March 10, 17 and 24, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Cost: $40. Learn simple mindfulness practices to calm the mind/body, balance the emotions, and help discover comfort in the moment. 503-335-3500.
- AARP Driver Safety Program - Wednesday and Thursday, March 12 and 13, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Cost: $10 (no cash). Refresher course on driving for people age 50 and older. 503-335-3500.
- CPR - Initial Course for Healthcare Providers - Thursday, March 13, 6 to 11 p.m. Cost: $60. American Heart guidelines. 503-335-3500.
- Standard First Aid - Sunday, March 16, 1 to 5 p.m. Cost: $60. American Red Cross. 503-280-1440.
- Standard First Aid with Adult CPR - Sunday, March 16, 1 to 7:15 p.m. Cost: $47. American Red Cross certification. 503-280-1440.
- Shoulder Spoilers - Thursday, March 20, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Free. Learn the most common causes of shoulder pain and dysfunction and the latest minimally invasive treatments. 503-692-2411.
- Do You Know Your Numbers? - Thursday, March 20, 7 to 9:30 p.m. (Third Thursday of every month). Cost: $30. Get personalized measurements and analysis of blood pressure, cholesterol levels, lean body mass, fat weight and optimal weight. Appointments are required. 503-692-2548.
- Powerful Tools for Caregivers - Legacy Good Samaritan Hospital, 1015 N.W. 22nd Ave., 1st Floor Conference Room N and S, Building 2. Thursdays, March 13 - April 17, 4 to 5:30 p.m. A six-week educational series to help family caregivers take care of themselves while caring for an older relative or friend whether the person being cared for lives at home, in a nursing home, or across the country. Class size is limited and registration is required. Suggested donation $25. To register, call 503-413-8018.
- Health classes at The Portland Clinic: South Office, 6640 S.W. Redwood Lane, Tigard; Beaverton office, 15950 S.W. Millikan Way. For information or to register, call 503-221-0161, Ext. 2254.
- Introduction to Insulin Pump Therapy Seminar, South Office - Friday, March 14, 9 to 10:30 a.m. Specifically for those interested in using an insulin pump to manage diabetes. See what an insulin pump and infusion set looks like. Discuss ways to troubleshoot high blood sugar levels. Co-payment is required. A support person may attend for free.
- Blood Glucose Pattern Management Seminar, South Office - Wednesday, March 19 or April 16, 2 to 3:30 p.m. Learn how to monitor blood sugar patterns and adjust insulin. The $100 cost may be covered by insurance.
- Diabetes Support Group, South Office - Friday, March 28, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Free support group for people with type 1 or type 2 diabetes meets every other month to discuss self-management and coping strategies.
- Evening Chats and Brown-bag lectures at Tuality Healthcare, Tuality Health Education Center, 334 S.E. Eighth Ave. All sessions are free and no registration is required. For more information, call 503-681-1700.
n Advanced Directives: Getting Them Done - Thursday, March 6, 6 to 7:30 p.m. Discuss the language of Advanced Directives, the process of completing them, and explain when they become significant in decision-making about medical and hospital patient care.
- Dealing with Dizziness and Balance Problems - Tuesday, March 18, 6 to 7:30 p.m. A discussion of causes of dizziness, vertigo, spinning, lightheadedness, swimming sensations, or feeling off-balance; tips to prevent falls, and physical therapy treatment options.
- Diabetes Medications Update - Thursday, March 20, 6 to 7:30 p.m. Topics: how diabetes medications work, why so many medications are needed, new medications available, and how medications work to maximize blood sugar control.