Apartment complex standoff ends in surrender

Troutdale man charged in Washington County shooting

A shooting in a Washington County park on Wednesday, March 19, left one man injured and led to a three-hour standoff at the suspect's Troutdale apartment complex.

Joseph Michael Tedrick, 21, of Troutdale, surrendered to authorities outside his residence in the 2000 block of Sturges Avenue around 8 p.m. He had refused to leave his apartment since Troutdale Police arrived around 4:40 p.m. Tedrick faces two counts of attempted murder for allegedly shooting Marvin Raines, 20, of Portland, twice in the leg around 4 p.m., Washington County Sheriff's officials said.

The incident occurred during an argument over a basketball game at Washington County's Somerset Park, 18300 N.W. Park View Boulevard.

Police say Tedrick arrived at the park with Raines and another individual to play ball. When the game became physical and words were exchanged, Tedrick left the park by himself in his vehicle. When he returned to retrieve his belongings, he learned that Raines had allegedly thrown his things into nearby bushes and another argument started.

Tedrick went back to his vehicle and returned with a handgun, shooting Raines at least once in the leg before fleeing the scene, police said.

When Washington County sheriff's deputies notified Troutdale Police to look for the suspect's vehicle, city officers and the Gresham-Multnomah County SWAT team went to set up a perimeter around Tedrick's residence. While this was happening, the suspect arrived and ran into his apartment. His wife, child and mother-in-law were inside. As officers negotiated with the suspect on the phone, they enticed his relatives to leave the apartment after about an hour.

Several apartment buildings were evacuated while police tried to get Tedrick to surrender. After three hours, he came outside with his hands raised. He was taken into custody without incident and handed over to Washington County Sheriff's detectives.

The standoff incident, in which officers did not fire on or pursue Tedrick, was handled with the residents' safety in mind, police officials said.

'Anytime we can resolve a serious incident with the potential for violence in a safe manner where no one was hurt is always a benefit to us,' said Troutdale Police Sgt. Marc Shrake. 'A peaceful resolution is all we could hope for.'

Troutdale doesn't call upon the SWAT often, but police said this incident called for greater precautions.

'An armed, dangerous suspect had just shot another individual,' Shrake said. 'It was a precaution to make sure everybody's safe.'

Tedrick was arraigned at 3 p.m. Thursday, March 20, on two counts of attempted murder. He is being held at the Washington County Jail on $250,000 bond.

Raines was treated for minor injuries at Providence St. Vincent Hospital in Portland.

Residents of the complex were allowed to return to their apartments by 9 p.m.