Party with the CAT
- Sherwood Gazette - Features
Sherwood's Cat Adoption Team celebrates 10-year anniversary with birthday bash, May 10
The Cat Adoption Team in Sherwood turns 10 on May 10 - that's like 57 in human years!
CAT has done so many great things for the homeless cats and kittens of the Portland area during this past decade.
Some of CAT's accomplishments over the past 10 years include:
• Opened in May 1998 with 35 cats; CAT now shelters over 250 cats and kittens daily
• Feline foster care program helps 1,400 cats and kittens annual; CAT gives each foster family a 'baby' bag full of supplies to give each kitten a good start at a long life
• First animal shelter in Oregon to install a full service veterinary hospital (2002)
• Partners with local animal control agencies to save more lives; 73 percent of CAT's feline intake comes from other animal shelters
• More than 16,000 cats and kittens adopted since 1998, which represents 1,328 percent growth
• Teamed up with 9 Portland-area pet supply stores to open adoption outreach centers
• Hospital lead by a medical director who is a Board certified feline practitioner
• Shelter has seven free roam (colony) cat rooms
• Saved 51 cats from the Hurricane Katrina affected area in 2005 and five cat refugees from war-torn Beirut in 2008
• Ellis the cat goes to New York in 2006 as part of the Meow Mix House reality show; Ellis found a home and adoptions spiked at CAT's Sherwood shelter
• First subsidized spay/neuter program the 'February Feline
Fix-a-Thon' sterilizes 155 cats and kittens from seven surrounding counties; CAT received a $5,000 grant to continue this effort in 2008 CAT will throw an anniversary celebration from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 10 at the shelter, 14715 S.W. Galbreath Drive, Sherwood.
Festivities include hourly door prizes; free CAT t-shirts to the first 100 visitors; a spin-the-wheel adoption discount; feline alumni photo board for past adoptive parents to post photos of their friendly felines; a chance to meet CAT's founder; the Wheels for Whiskers car raffle (raffle for new car will be held at 2:30 p.m. that day); vendors; refreshments; a visit from Michael Bailey from K103; and, of course, some birthday cake.