Featured Stories

Reed College mourns student death

'I am deeply saddened to report the tragic news that Alejandro ('Alex') Lluch, a first-year Reed student, died on Saturday, April 5, in his dormitory room in Naito Hall. The cause of death, according to the medical examiner, was an accidental heroin overdose.'

With those words, Reed College President Colin Diver announced to the institution's staff, student body, and the public at large, the first student death on campus in over 15 years. The cause of death was specifically included in the announcement at the request of the victim's parents. Diver explained, 'His father specifically wanted us to share with the community information about the cause of death in the hope that it might spare another student such a fate or another family such sorrow.'

Lluch, 18, lived in Malibu, California, and was an honors student at Concord High School in Santa Monica, California, from which he graduated last year. The college policy prohibits illegal drugs on campus, and Diver said he considers whoever provided heroin to Lluch 'criminally responsible', and the college is cooperating in the related Portland Police investigation.

The victim had been living in the Naito Hall dormitory on the Steele Street side of campus, and was discovered by campus security shortly before midnight on April 5th. The college offered the services of its Counseling Center to students, and 'designated sites in residence halls and on campus for students to share . . . reactions, feelings, and memories of Alex.'