Boys track topples Lakeridge
At the start of the 2008 season, Coach Joe Cerny thought his young West Linn High School track teams could win. Now he knows it.
Cerny is feeling nothing but optimism after his teams' performance in a dual meet at Lakeridge High School on April 23. Competing in rainy, cold conditions, the boys won 100-44 and the girls performed well despite losing 82-63.
'Overall, I was really pleased with our entire effort,' Cerny said. 'It was a good day.'
The boys dominated in every area but the sprints as nine individuals, plus the 4 by 100 relay team scored wins.
Two of those wins came from junior hurdler Bryce Baker, who captured the 100 high hurdles (16.0) and 300 intermediate hurdles (42.2). He also ran a leg on the winning spring relay team.
Other West Linn boys taking first were:
* Justin McKee (only a freshman), 400 meters, 53.8.
* Taylor Kolasinski, 800 meters (2:04.4).
* Ben Morrow, 3000 meters, 9:40.9.
* Mark Gorewicz, shot put, 41-4.75.
* Austin Banta, discus, 114-8.
* Josh Oltman, javelin, 166-6.
* Zach Valentine, high jump, 5-4.
* Andre Armattoe, pole vault, 11-0.
* Ian Markstaller, triple jump, 37-7.25.
* 4 by 100 relay team - Jake Gianuzzi, Baker, Erick Koczian, Alex Schlitt, 46.0.
It was all West Linn in the weight events as the Lions took the top three places in the shot put, discus and javelin.
The Lions girls squad could not overcome a strong Lakeridge team, but they still came through with seven first place finishers.
As usual, defending state champion Ali Super won the javelin (139-1).
Other victories came from:
* Natalie Pittenger, 800 meters (2:30.2).
* Kathryn Flyte, 1500, 5:18.7.
* Taylor Nowlin, 3000 meters, 12:11.2.
* Alyssa Jernigan, 300 low hurdles, 52.2.
* Sarani Chatterjee, 102-5.
* Danica Jungerman, pole vault, 7-0.
The West Linn girls were especially strong in the distance events, sweeping firsts in the 800, 1500 and 3000.
The season will close with a flurry of activity for the West Linn tracksters.
They compete at the Jesuit Relays on Friday and host Rex Putnam for a dual meet on Tuesday.
These meets will prime the Lions for the Three Rivers League district championship meet set for May 14 and 16 at Clackamas High School.
'We're really busy,' Cerny said. 'The season goes by fast. We've only got a week left in our regular season.'
For all West Linn High School track results, see www.athletic.net.