Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Kitchen burner starts Eagle Creek house fire

by: contributed photo, Boring firefighters attack the blaze in Eagle Creek.

Investigators blamed a hot burner for an Eagle Creek house fire Tuesday night, April 22.

Boring and Sandy firefighters responded to the home after 7:30 p.m. when a man who was house-sitting noticed smoke coming from the home.

Barry Lee Newbold, 58, had been cooking dinner and stepped outside to take a phone call, officials said.

The fire started because combustible items were kept too close to the burner. Newbold entered the home and retrieved two guinea pigs from a bedroom in the house and then called 911.

Firefighters found heavy fire in the kitchen when they arrived. They used a chainsaw to open the exterior wall of the kitchen so crews could attack the fire and eventually extinguish it.

One firefighter suffered minor injuries when a stairway collapsed. He was treated and released at the scene.

(From news partners KPTV Fox 12.)