Home tour offers a walk through the citys history
May is National Historic Preservation Month and the city will celebrate its heritage with the second annual Lake Oswego Historic Home Tour.
Organized by the Oswego Heritage Council, tour is Saturday, May 17, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and features six local homes built between 1880 and 1934.
Tickets are limited and available for $15 from the Oswego Heritage Council members and $25 for non- members. They can be purchased at the Oswego Heritage House at 398 Tenth St. or by calling 503-635-6373.
Tickets include admission to the featured homes and the Lost Landmarks exhibit at the Oswego Heritage House, which highlights the architectural and historic treasures Lake Oswego has lost.
'Lake Oswego has a 158-year history. Many of our community's architecturally significant and historic houses have been demolished,' said Marylou Colver, chair of the Lake Oswego Historic Home Tour and on the board of the Oswego Heritage Council. 'We need to save and protect the treasures we still have so future generations will have this link to our past.'
The homes on the tour include:
* Oregon Iron Company Cottage: This vernacular-style cottage was built in the 1880s by the Oswego Iron Company and served as housing for the workers at the nearby iron furnace.
* Mulder House: Now owned by the Holwerda family, this home on Oswego Lake was designed in the 1920s to incorporate rustic shingles, multi-light windows and heavy timber supports.
* Harris House: This Colonial Revival-style home was built in 1934 by architect Richard Sundeleaf. Located on Oswego Lake, the home now owned by the Tongue family retains nearly all of its original interior and exterior details.
* Van Houten House: This 1925 Craftsman Bungalow-style home now owned by the Blessing family has been restored on the inside and out, including a period appropriate kitchen.
* Huddleston House: This 1930s English Cottage now owned by the Reichle family was built by Arlo B. Huddleston and is known for its fine craftsmanship and detailing.
* Headrick House: This cheerful 1925 Craftsman Bungalow is now owned by Colver and serves as a backdrop for her many collections.