2011 Rose festival festivities
The newly named CityFair at Waterfront Park begins the nearly three weeks of fun and frolic of the Rose Festival on Friday, May 27.
Fireworks at 9:45 p.m. and Portland favorite Curtis Salgado help open the festivities at CityFair, and it's free to the public. Waterfront Park has been redesigned with a major entertainment venue, featuring several concerts (including Fitz and the Tantrums, May 28; Justin Moore, May 29; Craig Morgan, June 11). The new Vertigo will reign as the tallest amusement ride in Portland.
Later, during the Rose Festival parades, new mascot Clown Prince makes its debut.
Here's a quick check on big Rose Festival events, and more info can be found at rosefestival.org:
May 27-30, June 2-5, June 9-12
• CityFair, Waterfront Park
5 p.m. May 27-30, 3 p.m. June 2-3, 11 a.m. June 4-5, 3 p.m. June 9-10, 11 a.m. June 11-12
• Starlight Parade, downtown
8:30 p.m. (KGW)
• Junior Parade, Hollywood
• Fleet Week, Waterfront Park
• 123rd Annual Spring Rose Show, Lloyd Center Ice Chalet
1 p.m. June 9, 10 a.m. June 10
• Queen's Coronation, Memorial Coliseum
8:30 a.m. (KGW)
• Grand Floral Walk, Memorial Coliseum
• Grand Floral Parade, Memorial Coliseum to downtown
10 a.m. (KGW)
• Grand Floral Float Showcase, CityFair
3 p.m. June 11, 11 a.m. June 12
• Dragon Boat Race, Willamette River
•Rose Cup Races, Portland International Raceway