Fairview family displaced by fire
- Mara Stine
- Gresham Outlook - News
Fast action by police officer saves mobile home
A cooking fire displaced a family of seven from their mobile home in Fairview.
The fire started on the stove of the home at Blue Lake Village, a mobile home park in the 3200 block of Northeast 223rd Avenue, at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, June 1, said Jim Klum, Gresham Fire and Emergency Services Deputy Fire Chief.
Fairview police Sgt. Bernie Meyer was first on the scene and extinguished the burnt food and fire with a fire extinguisher.
'Thanks to the fast action of that police officer, he really slowed down the fire,' which prevented the mobile home from being destroyed, Klum said.
The fire damaged the stove and part of the kitchen around the appliance. The Oregon Trail Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping the displaced family - consisting of four adults and three children - with lodging, food and clothing.