Drop off hazardous waste
Metro sponsors disposal event in Forest Grove this Saturday
A Household Hazardous Waste Drop Off event will take place Saturday, June 11 at Forest Grove High School, 1401 Nichols Lane.
Sponsored by Metro, the regional government, the event is set from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Residents may bring the following kinds of items for disposal:
• Paints and stains
• Pool and spa chemicals
• Pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers and poisons
• Motor oil, antifreeze and other automotive fluids
• Thinners and solvents
• Household cleaners and disinfectants
• Art and hobby chemicals
• Aerosol spray products
• Sharps (medical syringes)
• Propane tanks or bottles from barbecue grills
• Compact fluorescent light bulbs or CFLs, fluorescent tubes and ballasts (up to 12 tubes will be accepted at neighborhood collection events)
• Mercury-containing items such as thermometers and thermostats.
Directions for preparing items prior to bringing them to the collection site include:
• Keep products in original containers when possible. If a product does not have its original label, label it yourself if you're sure of the contents. This will help Metro dispose of your materials safely.
• Don't mix products together. Dangerous reactions can occur when some materials are mixed.
• Make sure products are properly sealed to prevent leaks and spills. If a container is leaking, secure it in a secondary leak-proof container.
• Pack containers in sturdy boxes in the trunk of your vehicle, away from driver, passengers and pets. Cardboard boxes work well.
• Containers and boxes, including gasoline cans, cannot be returned to you, so make sure you don't need them for future use. Please do not put items in plastic bags.
• Always store products in a secure place, away from children, pets and heat, sparks or flames.
Do not bring containers larger than five gallons and limit your load to 35 gallons. If you need to bring more than 35 gallons, call Metro Recycling Information at 503-234-3000 for arrangements.
For details, go to www.
get rid of your waste
Hazardous waste disposal event
9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, June 11
Forest Grove High School, 1401 Nichols Lane
Call Metro at 503-234-3000
- The next event in Forest Grove will be on Sept. 24.