Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Child fine after swallowing brake fluid

WEB ONLY: Two-year-old hospitalized in the nick of time

A 2-year-old boy from Boring apparently is fine after swallowing brake fluid Friday, Feb. 2.

The incident occurred when the child, Braden Lewis, was playing in a workshop with his grandfather around 10:45 a.m. His grandfather had walked around the side of their vehicle for just a moment, family members said.

Braden quickly found his grandfather and began spitting, saying he drank 'icky stuff.' When the family realized that the boy had drunk brake fluid, they immediately called poison control and took him and the bottle to Mount Hood Medical Center in Gresham.

Braden was lethargic at first but was OK within an hour, the family reported. Had they waited, the family would have never known that the boy's pH was rising and that the fluid was turning to acid in his blood.

After being transferred to Legacy Emanuel Children's Hospital and undergoing frequent blood tests, Braden was discharged Feb. 4. He seems to have no lasting effects from the incident.

Whenever dangerous substances are ingested, public safety officials urge guardians to call the poison control and 9-1-1.