- Portland Tribune - Sports
Training camp opens Monday, although some players will come later.
• Twelve of the 15 players under contract through Wednesday are ages 24 to 27. The youngest is Kenyan midfielder Lawrence Olum, 22, a student at Missouri Baptist. The oldest is Andrew Gregor, 31.
• Defender Cameron Knowles is the tallest player in the fold at 6-3. Of the other newcomers, Olum is 6-2, forwards Chris Bagley and David Hague and midfielder Neil Dombrowski are 6-0. Size was lacking last year, with most of the forwards and midfielders well under 6 feet. New coach Gavin Wilkinson took the job saying he wanted more of a taller 'presence, demeanor.'
• Attitude will be big with Wilkinson this season. 'It looked like we had a lot of players who floated through games last year,' he says.
• The most serious preseason match will be April 15 against Vancouver at Alder Creek Middle School. Tickets will be $6 for the 4 p.m. game. The season opener is April 21 at home against Puerto Rico.
- Jason Vondersmith